JAPANESE - Winter 2022 (Jan-Mar) Cuisine of the Quarter

I’m not a big sushi eater, and I’m picky about some ingredients, so I was thrilled to find a ramen recipe that I didn’t need to modify too much. I make no claims about its authenticity, but it was delicious.

I cooked the pork in the InstantPot (30min on High), with slightly less water to stay under the maximum fill volume.
The only changes we’d make for next time are:

• more of the sautéed vegetables
  • a bigger chunk of pork (it was so good we nibbled on it while I was cooking…)
  • make the broth a day ahead, to make straining and removing the fat a little easier
6 Likes

Oyakodon for lunch today, with salad with Kewpie sesame dressing, and miso soup.

11 Likes

That looks so good! I need to make this soon.

2 Likes

:100:, @Mr_Happy

3 Likes

I’m trying to catch up with all the new awesome activity. @Mr_Happy waiting for you to open an intimate Japanese eating counter. I’ll be first in line. Feast for the eyes in the meantime.

7 Likes

Bravo!

Squeaking this udon dish I made back in January before I joined in before this quarter closes out:
Life Changing Udon With Soft Boiled Egg, Hot Soy, and Black Pepper

My notes from the January “What’s For Dinner” thread at the about to be defunct Chowhound: “I used poached eggs, rather than soft boiled and homemade chicken broth from the freezer in place of the vegetable broth. Dry udon from the pantry. I am sure it is that much better with fresh! We liked this, but not loved it. Use a very restrained hand with sesame oil at the end - with the butter, the whole thing becomes very rich and overwhelms the flavor of the soy broth (which was excellent!). Use way more black pepper than you think you need to (I used about 25 coarse grinds, but could have added more as much of it got washed off by the broth and ended up at the bottom of the bowl).”

9 Likes

Voting for next quarter’s COTQ is now live! Spring 2022 (Apr-Jun) Cuisine of the Quarter - VOTING

1 Like

Making Teriyaki Ribeye,

Japanese fried rice (without ham)

and

Goma-ae green beans tonight

4 Likes

Totally missed this post. Japanese cuisine is probably one of my most favorite cuisines. Thanks for posting.

1 Like

For what it worth, during the COVID lockdown (soft lockdown), I spent a lot of time trying to make on my own. Here are two photos.

One of my many attempts for Shoyu Ramen

One of my attempts for Okinawa soba

7 Likes

Looks delicious!

Thanks. I see you have sited Just One Cookbook

I worked on my Okinawa soba based on Namiko’s (Just One Cookbook) recipe and Yumiko’s (Recipe Tin Eats) recipe.

Great recommendation

5 Likes

Does anyone have a Japanese Potato Salad recipe they like?

I’ve made the recipe for potato salada from Japanese Soul Cooking by Tadashi Ono and Harris Salat a few times and it’s good. Found an adaptation online here.

Justonecookbook also has a recipe I’ve made a few times.

Not much to it, I think the common elements that make it different vs an American potato salad is using Kewpie mayonnaise and also the texture of the potato which is almost like a mashed potato.

5 Likes

I love the site, I’m really glad I found it- thanks to HO

1 Like
1 Like

I’m making a variation tonight.