Japanese Vending Machines

I remember buying cans of hot coffee from a vending machine when we were there - the dang things were so hot we couldn’t hold them.

1 Like

One of my travel tips for Japan was to carry a bandana to be able to hold the vending machine coffee cans. (It’s a useful item in general.) Another was a compass to find your way out of the department stores.

3 Likes

My phone battery kept dying so I had a lot of fun navigating the department stores and subway, and getting back to my hotel without Google Maps.

We went in 1994, so cellphones were not yet a thing.

1 Like

Japan was my last international trip, in January 2020. I relied on my cell phone a lot for navigation and translation.

Ringer Hut is a Japanese chain specializing in Nagasaki champon, a ramen dish with creamy sauce, vegetables, seafood, and meat.

This vending machine has that, filet katsu sandwiches, dumplings, and fried rice.

1 Like

(atop the machine, “the tasty spicy hot sauce made with garlic,” along the side, “the devil’s hot sauce”)

Denim face masks

A variety of spicy and slightly spicy ramen.

Knowing the typical Japanese palette, this is just regular mild hot sauce. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Indeed!

But I have to admit, for Japan, this Yamagata duo of grilled green pepper soy sauce and shichimi tougarashi has a little kick. Again, for Japan :wink:

Put in 1000 yen, you might get rubbish, you might get something desired, or you might get something like jewels.

That’s ok.

1 Like

These vending machine photos are super interesting.:+1:

3 Likes

GOAT: a vending machine (filled with many sweetened drinks), slyly placed in front of a dentist’s office.

3 Likes

Vending machines have been almost an art form in Japan as long as they’ve been around. I remember being amazed at what they held on my first visit back in the ‘70s.

1 Like

A short montage of some of the Japanese vending machines I’ve encountered since 2014:

3 Likes
1 Like