Japanese Vending Machines

I didn’t say it isn’t.

How exciting.

Anyway, here’s one from Utsunomiya:

It has Kuroge wagyu hamburg steaks, garlicky gyoza (pot stickers), minced meat cutlets, and capsule toy mystery meat.

3 Likes

All apple juice, at Aomori train station.
(Aomori is Japan’s apple country)

2 Likes

For those intransigent raw horse stains, head to the nearest steel wool vending machine.

5 Likes

I got there too late.

The Japanese in the upper-left says “Mr. Morning Market.”

All that was left was eggplant and onions. Good choices, but I’m hankering tomatoes.

3 Likes

I’ve always loved vending machines.

I bought a lot of coffee and milk tea from the vending machines at the ski resort, at truck stops along the highway, and on the street.

I wish I had been able to spend more time in Japan.

From Engine Ramen in Kyoto. The order was placed at the vending machine, but the ramen came from the kitchen, so not a proper vending machine.

3 Likes

Shiso sour, damn that sounds fun. Ever tried a shikuwasa sour? That’s peak Okinawa.

Indeed, countless ramenya, and cheaper soba/udon restaurants worship the vending machine ticketing system. (too many dine-and-dashers?)

But there are also vendos where you can get ramen right then and there. Don’t have a photo right now, but I’m a searchin’ everyday for more vm madness.

1 Like

Are they different varieties (bc they all look the same)?

To which ones are you referring?

Generally speaking, a single vending machine will have a variety of drinks/foods/whatever the heck else.

Occasionally, there’s a one-trick pony – e.g. the apple juice in Aomori – but it’s more because that region is the Japanese producer of {apples}. I believe there would be more varieties once it’s the season.

(I’m not sure which post you’re replying to, so I presumed it to be the apple one.)

1 Like

Not yet! I will add it to my list!

Yes, the apple post. Thanks for clarifying!

I took a few photos of the apples in this post.

1 Like

Dems apples are from Nagano :wink:

eta: Shinshu (信州) is an historic name for present-day Nagano prefecture.

1 Like

One of my favorite snacks.

2 Likes

Powdered green tea, deceptively sold in boxes similar to cigarette packs.

(The name, Chabacco, comes from cha-bako/茶箱, or tea box.)

1 Like

I remember buying cans of hot coffee from a vending machine when we were there - the dang things were so hot we couldn’t hold them.

1 Like

One of my travel tips for Japan was to carry a bandana to be able to hold the vending machine coffee cans. (It’s a useful item in general.) Another was a compass to find your way out of the department stores.

3 Likes

My phone battery kept dying so I had a lot of fun navigating the department stores and subway, and getting back to my hotel without Google Maps.

We went in 1994, so cellphones were not yet a thing.

1 Like

Japan was my last international trip, in January 2020. I relied on my cell phone a lot for navigation and translation.