Japanese restaurants, bakeries, coffee shops, groceries, etc in [Toronto]

Please tell me you had a 4 person team eating all that. Looks great Charles. Almost makes me want to go to Richmond Hill.

Happy New Year!!
Good guess!!
Come-on-up!! Great price, great value and utterly yummy!
Salad, Miso Soup, Gyozas, Lobster and veggie Tempura, Steak Teriyaki, fresh fruit, ice-cream…all for $23!! Try beating that for taste/price/value ratio?!

Well harness up the dog sled then. MUSH!

2 Likes

Just up Yonge Street from Shoushin’s startling prices, there’s Shinobu, where I’ve supped many times over the years - I live a short drive away - and enjoy it every time out. It’s a small joint - reservations a must - Japanese-owned as far as I can tell, with a short, interesting menu that touches all the bases with style, imagination and sweet service. In my view, it beats any other mid-level sushi spot (and I’ve tried quite a few when I’m lusting for Japanese and can’t get into Shinobu) around town.
Two can dine quite well there nowadays for about $125-$150, all in, if you stay away from the pricier sakis. Park easily on the side streets off Yonge.

2 Likes

Shinobu is my favourite sushi spot.

I ordered Sushi Maido’s tempura udon, inari and futomaki online last night. It was decent.

Does anyone have a recommendation for udon downtown?

1 Like
1 Like

But if you WERE in the east end searching for Japanese brunch, there are a couple of options.

Katsupan on Midland north of Finch serves up some mighty fun sandwiches. Homemade spam for breakfast anyone?

If you want a more upscale experience, there’s Scenic Coffee + Brunch on Woodbine north of the 407. For those mornings where you really want eggs and a haircut.
http://sceniccoffee.ca/

2 Likes

Raku is really good for Udon IMO. That makes me think I should order it again as with the weather it is outside it would make for a good meal :slight_smile:
I shared my experience there in another thread.

2 Likes

1 Like

Looks great, Googs. Hope to try it this summer, when I might travel a little further for some meals.

Nice menu at Scenic Coffee
http://sceniccoffee.ca/menus/SCENIC-Food-Menu-Oct-2022.pdf

1 Like

I guess I can dedicate this order of Udon to you. Quick delivery and nice chunks of crab meat today (previously just shredded meat)
Went well

2 Likes

Looks excellent.

Sanuki Udon has opened up recently downtown and is on UberEats as well. Found out later otherwise would have tried it today. Stuck with the trusty old Raku again.

2 Likes

Not to be mistaken but just a note that the “Sanuki Udon” downtown on Carlton St … is NOT related to the “Zen Sanuki Udon” at Scarborough. Having tried both, as well as Raku, personally I prefer Zen Sanuki Udon … despite it being a bit “far.” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah ok good to thanks for sharing

1 Like

I’ve been to Tsuchi twice now. I like it. I think the hot food is only offered on the weekends. It is plant-based. Best fake meat and fake chicken I have ever tried.

https://tsuchicafe.com/
The monthly bento:

Melonpan

2 Likes

$35 Premium Sushi set to-go from Oroshi. Open Wed to Sun.

I will be returning to Oroshi soon.

I tried the Ebi Sando at Imanishi Sando Bar last weekend. It was good but a relatively small portion . I would need 2 sandos to feel like I had a satisfying lunch. I think there were 3 shrimp in the sando.

2 Likes

A couple of ’ under-the-radar ’ , OMAKASE option only, authentic Japanese Sushi-Ya have opened up:

These are: Shizuku at Finch & Kennedy ( $190 - 18 pieces; $270 - 22 pieces )

and
Sushi Gin at Hwy#7/Commerce Gate ( $170 for 3 Otsumami, 12 Nigiri, 1 Maki, 1 Tamago, Dessert )

2 Likes

Our local ramen shop Oji Seichi has been featuring Ramen-Krishnan, a collaboration with the actor Maitreyi Ramakrishnan. Oji Seichi is apparently one of her favourite places to eat and she was approached about the collaboration. In consultation with Maitreyi’s mother, the result is a ramen that features Tamil flavours and a soft serve with mango.

They are only featuring this special until early March and we would definitely recommend trying the ramen at least. It is based on a chicken and crab broth, miso, and paruppu (lentil curry). We thought there was also coconut to add to the creaminess. Whatever the case, it was rich, complex, and had decent kick. The chewy noodles take up the flavour very well. The toppings include a runny egg, tender chicken, pickled ginger, green onions, bean sprouts, and tempura imitation crab (maybe the only weak link).

The vanilla soft serve came with mango and cheeni murruku cookie - nice and fun (good crunchy cookie crumble) but mango could have been stronger and tangy-er.

For drinks, we had the Japanese Highball (Suntory Toki whisky, yuzu, lemon, soda water) and Minabe Mule (Willibald Farm vodka, umeboshi, cranberries, lime, ginger beer). Both were good but maybe weren’t up to the challenge of pairing with such a strongly-flavoured soup.

4 Likes