Japanese 'naked restaurant' to ban overweight diners

Japan’s first “naked restaurant” opens in Tokyo next month with draconian rules of entry – podgy prospective diners will be weighed and ejected if found to be too fat.

Guests will fork out up to 80,000 yen (US $750) for tickets entitling them to eat food served by muscle-bound men wearing g-strings and watch a dance show featuring male models.

I have a solution! Combine naked dining with dark dining. Of course, eating while blindfolded would make it hard to see the male models, but you can’t have everything.

I see tattooed patrons are also unwelcome, which means I can’t go. Oh, darn.

3 Likes

If they require “patrons” to don paper underwear, they’re not truly naked. But then if the underwear is edible…

1 Like

Save your money . Go to a nude beach and have lunch . Is the world getting dumber ? F…ing lame .

6 Likes

Or at home!

They forget to ban piercings… How about body too hairy ? Or scarred body?

1 Like

What if a Sumo wrestler walks in?

4 Likes

I was asking the same question too. I think they are a category apart. They are well respected in Japan.

Tattoos are also verboten at many baths and hotsprings, and I would be much more bummed at missing one of those. They still think only yakuza would only ever get tattoos. For all the fun I have when I travel to Japan, they are oddly outdated, inflexible, elitist and/or discriminatory in some of their practices.

1 Like

Yes, I’d read that. I was very fortunate that the hotsprings resort I visited, Takaragawa Onsen Osenkaku, had no such restriction. Or at least, no one enforced it. As a small white middle-aged woman, I’m unlikely to be mistaken for a gangster. (Which means I should probably become a gangster. Who’d suspect me?)

2 Likes

May be why assimilation was welcomed in the 19th and the 20th Century and it is resisted so vigorously today. :o)

I just happened to be sitting at a favorite local haunt when they received a phone call. As they related it to me: the caller wanted to book a table for a party of 5, then suddenly said “I am big”. They thought she meant that she was a big shot or something, when what she was really sharing is that she weighs over 300 pounds and will need some extra accommodation.
The chef/owner overheard and told her thanks for letting us know in advance. We will do the best we can to make you comfortable. I thought that was an excellent answer and indeed, the proper way to handle the situation…

3 Likes

Good news! Overweight diners no longer banned. Tattooed diners still banned, though, which means I still can’t go. Your loss, The Amrita Naked Restaurant.