Japan 2024. 3rd Stop: Hiroshima

Our first time in Hiroshima. Wandered around a bit in the rain and marked many attractive food opportunities. Stopped into a casual seafood restaurant, menu showed some interesting and appealing items.

Started with the Sea Eel Sashimi, the dish that drew us in.

Hiroshima supplies most of the Oysters for Japan. We ordered a couple steamed. These were two-biters. Briny and succulent, I see many more oysters in our future.

Hiroshima Egg Rice set, a hit of Shoyu, salty crispy Nori and bits of pickles. Well rounded dish, satisfying and comforting.

11 Likes

If you get a chance, you might want to stop by Okonomimura (お好み村). It’s a building chock full of okonomiyaki joints. I can recommend Kazuchan on the third floor. The owner is a character. If you get him in a good mood, he might do a little song and dance for you. Ask him about Eichiki Yazawa (the Paul McCartney of Japan.)

Okonomimura website

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice. We had Okonomiyaki for lunch today.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/iZK1UQisZ4mfSJ1Y9?g_st=ic

This restaurant was one of more than a dozen dishing out this Hiroshima speciality on the 6th floor of a nondescript building.

The chef was accommodating and engaging. Food always taste better when you get to watch and smell your meal being grilled an arm’s length from you.

We had to start with an order of Oysters and one of Beef Heart. The sizzle and aroma totally perked our appetites.

I always enjoy watching an expert putting a dish together, watching our Oyster Okonomiyaki come together was a satisfying treat.

Rain should stop soon. Hiroshima Seafood on the menu tonight.

11 Likes

https://maps.app.goo.gl/JbLFZ6LfH5gqGTgBA?g_st=ic

Cozy private room for two with sunken tatami seating. Two Otoshi, Sake and a HighBall to start. Tablet with English eases the ordering conundrum.

Sashimi platter.

Baby local Sardine, deep fried.

Cucumber.

The only loser of the evening. Clams in Miso Broth and Seaweed. The flavors just didn’t work and the clams just didn’t pop.

Chicken Skin Skewers.

Really wanted Fresh Oysters on the half, but not to be. Deep Fried Oysters the consolation. Mistakenly read each order was a single oyster, so we tapped in 2 orders. 2 orders x 4 pcs each were delivered.

Chicken Karaage.

Horse Mackerel Sashimi.

Gotta finish with a Grilled Rice Ball. Not as delish as the one DW had in Toyama, the bar set pretty high there.

A thoroughly delicious and enjoyable dinner.

11 Likes

Looks good.

When listing places in Okayama, I forgot to suggest a place for oyster okonomiyaki.
While not as famous as Hiroshima for oysters, Okayama has it’s own nearby oyster beds so if you’re still hankering for oysters, you may want to check out
Okonomiyaki Mori お好み焼きもり . 1 Chome-6-9 Hokancho, Kita Ward, Okayama, 700-0026

It’s only 7 minutes walk from the main train station.
They also have some other Okayama specialties such as Horumon Udon and they have menus in English and Chinese.
Despite being in the somewhat rundown neighborhood of Hokancho (which I am rather fond of), reservations are suggested as this is a small and very popular place.

Enjoy your travels.

5 Likes

Sorry, just one more thing. I don’t know if this lines up with your itinerary, but the Hinase Oyster festival is Feb. 25 from 8am-2pm.
Hinase is where Okayama’s oysters are farmed. It’s about 1 hour and 15 minutes by train and then another 15 minutes walk to the festival. It may be a bit of a stretch for people on vacation, but I thought I’d let you know about it. If you’re into Bizen pottery, you could stop by in Bizen on the way back and check that out too.

https://japan-attractions.jp/food/hinase-oyster-festival/
Google map directions

2 Likes

Took the ferry to Miyajima Island on Hiroshima Bay. Torii Gate is the island’s main draw. The Gate is often described as one of the three best views of Japan.

This giant orange Gate “floats” in the bay, partially submerged at high tide. We arrived at low, and were treated to the sight of tourists mucking through the mud for their photo op.

Passed seas of oyster pens floating in the pristine waters en route to the island and was looking forward to slurping up some fresher than fresh locally harvested bivalves. On-half shell, baked, grilled, torched and all manners of oyster prep were beckoning from the many enthusiastic venders.

We started with some Nigiri Ten, a savory Fish Paste on a stick roasted and deep fried. One Shrimp and one Octopus, quite tasty.

I’m always a sucker for Tongue. A skewer of Grilled Tongue and some Potatoes. The meat was cooked just right and had the good snap and beefy flavor.

Conger Eel Chikuwa, a must eat (says DW). A grilled tube shaped Fish Cake. Also quite tasty.

Oyster Curry Bread, another must. Good, but not as crave worthy as our favorite Singapore Curry Puff. Inclusion of oysters made this a special local treat, however.

Surprised and delighted to see Deer mingling freely with the tourists. Not as aggressive as the ones in Nara, but assertive nevertheless.

This little guy started nibbling on my jacket demanding his share of my fries.

Never did get any oysters. All the queues for oysters were just too darn long. We’ll just have get our oyster fix on the mainland.

Embarked on the 45 minutes speed boat blast back to Peace Memorial Park. Started raining as we disembarked at the Memorial Park dock. Fortunately, our hotel was only a quick 10 minute sprint away.

Good excuse to duck into our new favorite Supermarket and loaded up on this and that. In-room dining tonight.

12 Likes

Mouth orgy right there.

3 Likes

Good suggestion. We stopped in for our last Hiroshima Okonomiyaki on Saturday late morning. Three levels of okonomiyaki eateries, only okonomiyaki.

No English signage to speak of. A sensory overload of delicious smells, shouted greetings and sizzling grills. We tucked into two of the last fast disappearing stools and soaked in the action.

First Gyoza of this trip and some Chicken Teppan-yaki. Quick starters while we watched our okonomiyaki come together.

The All-in: Scallop, Squid (fresh & dried), Shrimp, Pork Belly, Egg, Bean Sprouts, Scallions and Perilla.

Confession: I’d had okonomiyaki only once before ~20 years ago on a business trip to Osaka. Didn’t love it then, more open now. Maybe the Osaka style sauces and toppings were too much? Will try Osaka style again next week. Maybe my palate and expectations have grown to better appreciate.

10 Likes

Your mention of oyster pens reminds me of the property my grandfather once owned (in Mie ken) and leased to a pearl cultivator. We were able to visit and watch how the pearl seeds were implanted into the oysters, which at the time (1971) was proprietary information. It never occurred to me what happened to the ‘spent’ oysters, and I have no idea if they ended up on a plate somewhere or got turned into animal feed.

4 Likes

I’m glad it worked out for you. That building is an old-school gem.
My personal preference is Osaka style, but when in Hiroshima it only makes sense to have it in the local style.
(Don’t care for Kanto style monjayaki though. I find the texture off putting.)

Sometimes a simple negiyaki (leek pancake) is a nice simple alternative. The old lady who ran my favorite tiny shop passed away ages ago and I’m still looking for a suitable equivalent.

Cheers.

3 Likes

I was craving Hainan Chicken, so our final meal in Hiroshima was Thai. A good palate reset for the second half of our Japan trip.

Nin’nikuya-Manao

Japan, 〒734-0007 Hiroshima, Naka Ward, Tatemachi, 6丁目6−11 立町ビル 2F

Green Papaya Salad was the perfect starter with some much needed and appreciated veggies. Spicy, sweet with nice chili garlic zing.

Soft Shell Crab. Crispy fried with light breading. Great rendition.

Bird’s Eye Chili Chicken stir fry Noodles. Good, with a touch of wok hei. A somewhat generic chow mein found everywhere.

Khao Man Kai - Hainan Chicken Rice. Scratched the itch. A generous portion of boneless poached chicken with serviceable chicken flavored rice and a single spicy chili dipping sauce. My expectations were not high, and this met and slightly surpassed the bar.

Hiroshima was a relaxing 4 day stay. Off to Okayama in the morning for 4 days.

9 Likes

Enjoy your trip to Okayama. if you get a chance, you may want to check out the Bikan historical area in Kurashiki (a town a short train ride away). There’s an old canal there with kura (old style warehouses) around it. There are a number of cafes and such surrounding it. It’s touristy, but not in a bad way. Toraiya is a place that specializes in kibisoba, which is a local specialty.

2 Likes

Good suggestions. We had trekked to the Bikan historical area a couple of days ago. We enjoy walking about these older areas just soaking in the way things were years ago.

We also were able to squeeze into Okonomiyaki Mori at opening yesterday. Will post pics and write up soon, we enjoyed the restaurant.

We’re leaving for Osaka tomorrow, and have already talked about coming to Okayama again when we go to Fukuoka/Osaka again.

4 Likes

Awesome. I don’t want to diminish the thrill of discovery, but if you’re looking for something particular around Okayama I just may be able to make some suggestions. e.g. Did you know there are only 4 tiki bars in all of Japan — and one of them is in Okayama? Even a lot of the locals don’t know about it.

1 Like

I can see why you chose to stay on Okayama. A small town in some ways, we’ve relaxed and enjoyed the few meals here thus far.

Walking around the park before dusk was a treat yesterday. We’ve been to the famous Kanazawa park a couple of times but haven’t entered. Too many people!!!

Love the Japanese aesthetic. The Japanese bends nature so well. :slight_smile:

1 Like