January 2020 openings and closings [Boston and New England]

Happy New Year everyone! What is happening around town?

4 Likes

Max and Leo’s pizza has opened its fourth location in Chelmsford Center. Appears to have opened this week.

According to the website, “winter hours” are limited to dinner (4:00-9:00), except for Friday-Sunday when the restaurant opens at lunchtime.

Hoping to try them out soon to see if the place could become one of our usual suspects.

3 Likes

Cambridge 1 has closed. While there is plenty of pizza in HSQ, there are not many (any?) full service pizza places with a liquor license. I can’t say I’ve patronized Cambridge 1 much recently, but it is sad to see a staple of nearly 20 years close. I think we’d all take Cambridge 1 over &pizza 8 days a week…

4 Likes

Yes in principle but I last ate there in October and felt that it was not worth returning to. Still not sure if it changed or I changed but vividly remember enjoying their pizza in the past and felt it was a waste of tummy real estate that time.

3 Likes

Gah! Cambridge 1? While I’m in total agreement with you @GretchenS that the pizza had changed and not for the better, I’m still bummed at this news. This was definitely a mainstay for B and I whenever we found ourselves in Harvard Square. In those early days, good eats around HSq were slim pickin’s. I think that restaurant group is now down to only Miracle of Science which continues to be good. They had a great run for a while (Audubon Circle, middlesex, two Cambridge 1).

So I guess it’s already closed or do we have time for one last meal there?

2 Likes

Already closed.

1 Like

In Waltham news … I’m told (by a reliable friend) that the Main Street Gustavo’s location is closed - the new Moody street location to open this month.

Rumor is a new New Orleans inspired restaurant is to open in the old Main Street location. The chef is from the Cambridge area, not sure if in an existing restaurant or not.

Or that’s the rumor and all I know :wink:

4 Likes

The Patch said the restaurant taking over the old Gustazo space will be from the Revelry food truck people. I’ve never eaten from it. Anyone?

Per Kara Baskin in the Globe, Flat Patties (Harvard Square) is closed, Pollo Club (Waltham) is now serving Sunday brunch and Coppersmith (South Boston) will not close this month after all but will be open at least through 2020.

1 Like

sort of going to miss this one, they at least had a decent burger. The immediate Harvard Sq. lunch options are getting a little scarce for me, even though I only eat out here once a week or so. Looks like more lunches at Cilantro, Sakura, Cafe Sushi and Dumpling House.

2 Likes

If you are going so deep into central square territory, go deeper and eat at 5-spice. I’ll post additional info at the right time and on the right place, but it’s worth the extra distance. Plus, you’re young and can still run there and back.

2 Likes

You are the second person in a week to tell me this.

Was the first person any good? That will balance me.

Let’s say I trust your food recs more than hers but you have validated that one for me.

Damn you @GretchenS, as you know flattery will get you everywhere with me. I just force-posted my 5-spice observations:

1 Like

Nice to know I can bend you to my will. :grin:

1 Like

5 spice is relatively local to me but I have never eaten there. I’m definitely interested to hear your recommendations.

99 Ranch, North Quincy outpost, is scheduled to open weekend of Jan 18-19. Woot! I know it’s just a grocery store and I don’t know why this makes me very excited.

4 Likes

@uni I’ve post about 5-spice on the 5-spice thread, linked to above. Let me know if you need additional information.

2 Likes

Well, it’s hyped to be the asian wegmans, right? :slight_smile: