I've got a lot of lemons!

2 Likes

I absolutely adore Lemon Posset. The recipe I’ve always used is this one:

Another recipe I like is a Lemon-Blueberry Sour Cream Pound Cake. Of course, the recipe I used to have from Lanier’s B&B is no longer online. But perhaps this would be a good stand-in? Wild Maine blueberries are excellent.

3 Likes

Yes, it does. Here’s some pictures of posset I’ve made in the past. This one was with a sort-of raspberry-ginger coulis topped with crushed gingersnaps.

With Blackberry compote and fresh raspberries:

7 Likes

Another lover of Lemon Posset here! One of my most crowd pleasing but easy desserts.

I also love Paula Wolfert’s lemon, ginger cold remedy. Great on a chilly evening.

I make it larger batches and it keeps well in the fridge.

And I like to candy the peels or use them to infuse custards (or just hot milk or tea), like in Biba Caggiano’s Fior di Latte della Roberta, which is a delicate, lemon-infused flan and one of my all-time favorite desserts. (Can’t find the recipe online, but it’s from her Biba’s Northern Italian Cooking.) Actually I think a touch of lemon zest makes almost anything better.

And there’s always Shaker Lemon pie which I think is waaaay better with Meyers than with regular lemons!

4 Likes

Thanks all! I’ve made two bottles of preserved lemons and plan to try curd next since I can freeze it, then panna cotta, since I love it! The posset sounds tempting though. I may go back for more lemons to freeze some for juice.
In the meantime, there’s not nearly enough juice to cover the preserved lemons and I’d rather not use any more lemons that way; any suggestions?

ETA I used ice and water in a bag to push the lemons under the brine. I read somewhere I should use brine in the bag in case it bursts. Maybe tommorow.

3 Likes
1 Like

https://www.thekitchn.com/preserved-lemons-recipe-23201189?amp=1

Lemon curd

!

!)

I think next up will be Lemonade and then panna cotta to follow, if not first. Lemonade goes so quickly.

10 Likes

nice harvest of Meyer lemons! We usually freeze some whole, to zest throughout the year. And the zested lemons become juice for… whatever.
Since yours are still fresh, you could:

• Slice 1mm thick and dehydrate. Grind some in a spice grinder for adding to water. Keep some for garnishing.
  • Zest, dry the zest, and then juice the fruit to add to your preserved lemons.
  • Preserved lemons. I do half lemons, cut into 4ths each… and can fit about 5 or so pieces into a 350ml jar. These keep for years! I am using 2019 batch. Our 2021 harvests were small, so grateful for the preserves.
  • You could make a lemon and vanilla marmalade. So yummy!
4 Likes

Lemons (and oranges) are ready here too.

6 Likes

Well, the finished product is mostly plain water so I’d think that would work as a way to individually control the ‘lemony-ness’ and sweetness. I’m just not sure if there’s any possible chemical reaction with highly concentrated lemon juice and simple syrup on their own.

1 Like

Those 3 jars at the end are BEAUTIFUL! And those lemons are HUGE!

3 Likes

I freeze sliced, juiced lemon rounds in bags and use in place of ice cubes.

2 Likes

I made some once (reported on Chowhound) from lemons that had been quartered for another purpose.

1 Like

I think I remember that!

Comparing two recipes

And

I don’t understand why they use such different volumes of liquid (cream, milk, yogurt, lemon juice) but the same 1 packet of gelatin.

1 Like

The one with more liquid will set more softly. You know how Top Chef contestants are always adding too much gelatin and getting rubbery panna cotta? There’s quite a range of possible textures. If you’re using a mold you’d use more gelatin/less liquid so the shape will stand up on its own, if you’re serving it in a vessel (bowl, glass etc) you can use less gelatin/more liquid for a softer silkier texture.

4 Likes

Ah! Yes! I do know! Oh well. I went for it with a lower liquid recipe which was intended to go in a mold.

Last time I served from the same glasses and would have preferred a firmer set. Last time I used gelatin leaves, this time packets. The leaves seem to require more by weight.

1 Like

Nobody’s mentioned Limoncello yet I don’t think. I’ve made it before and it’s really good if you’re into things alcoholic. Lots of recipes on line. The one I made took 30 days (Lidia Bastianich’s recipe I think) but there are shorter ones although our in-laws gave us some from a short recipe and it’s much more lemony, like it didn’t ‘steep’ long enough.

2 Likes