It's time to upgrade my chef's knife. Help?

I lost a lot of arm hair when I was learning to sharpen. I find its not to difficult to get shaving sharp. I use a lot of used copy paper these days. When it slides through with little sound or resistance I know it’s pretty darn sharp. How long it holds its another story.

I once did the tomato drop through test where the knife is placed on a tomato after sharpening and it falls through the tomato on it’s own weight

1 Like

Your ultra high res camera is showing your lines on your skin. You need to start using lotion. :stuck_out_tongue:
P.S.: I assume you were shaving your arm hair using the Victorinox (just to prove the point that the Victorninox can be very sharp)

Just want to share this deal on Amazon today. 83% off Imarku knife.

I actually went ahead and ordered the Misono Swedish from JCK – Koki was great, so thanks for recommending emailing him, ChemicalKinetics.

Or at least I think I ordered it – I had to do it by email since I want a left-handed knife and I haven’t received a confirmation yet. But that’s hardly unexpected because of the holiday.

I’ll let everyone know my first impressions when it arrives.

A couple of other things – I cut exclusively on wooden cutting boards; I got two great ones for Christmas in different sizes. I’ve got a massive, 2.5 lb cleaver for bones and whatnot. That Imarku is actually selling at the highest price it’s been lately. Amazon (and others of course) are notorious for sticking an unrealistic MSRP on their stuff and then discounting, but you can track the historical price of most Amazon items on a site called Camelcamelcamel.com. Here’s the history for that piece: http://camelcamelcamel.com/Professional-Stainless-Ergonomic-chopping-vegetables/product/B01DDBJF12

Thanks for the help, all!

1 Like

This is great. I didn’t know you are left-handed. Many store knives are sold as right handed, so in order to get a left-handed one, you will usually do a custom order. This is a great decision. Now, could you possibly use a right-handed knife? Of course, you can. However, isn’t it ever better to able to use a knife designed for left-handed person? A right handed knife is only $100-ish, so I assume the left-handed is no more than $150. $100-200 price is a great price range for many people. You can get some nice knives at this price range, and they are not so expensive that you are scared to use them. After it arrives, let us know if you like it.

Hey Scubadoo! Yeah, I agree on the arm hair! :smiley: I did this shot as more of a “show me” for others. It’s more descriptive than showing a sliced piece of paper. I most often test sharpness using a single sheet of newsprint, held up in the air. The lack of rigidity & definite “grain” makes it a good test of cut-vs-tear.

LOL, thanks for the beauty tip Chem!

Yes, this is the Forschner 7" santoku. I really enjoy using this knife. The rosewood handle gives it more maneuverability (for me) than the fatter/heavier Fibrox handles.

I got the knife yesterday and got to use it for the first time today. Of course the first day of a knife’s use is always good but I have to say that this is the sharpest edge I’ve ever seen. It’s got a nice weight and balance to it.

I think I will have to adjust my grip a little bit; it was low and puts one finger too close to the blade on this one. But so far I’m a pretty happy onion/scallion/tuna slicer.

It was a little more spendy than the numbers you talked about since I went for the 240 mm version.

1 Like

Actually, it usually takes me between 3 days to 2 weeks to get fully used to the knife. Then I almost always like the knives better at that point.

Good choice for going for something longer. Many people can handle a longer Japanese knife than a German knife (simply because they are lighter).

How do you hold your knife? Do you use pinch grip? A pinch grip is a very good style and particularly nicer for a knife with a narrower width (spine to blade distance).

Congratulation so far for your good experience. Hopefully, you will continue to like your knife.