ITALIAN - Fall 2019 (Oct-Dec) Cuisine of the Quarter

Superbly splendid …

Ha Ha …

I use a Pannitonne for a Spanish style French Toast !
Instead of milk and butter, we use Evoo and semi sweet White or Red wine, and sauté the pannetonne slices – we dip in egg first and sprinkle with a bit of sugar and cinammon. IT IS CALLED A TORRIJA …

3 Likes

Spaghetti con le sarde, a Sicilian dish. I followed Chef John’s recipe:

11 Likes

Minestrone (perhaps the original “stone soup”?)

10 Likes

Coda Alla Vaccinara - Roman oxtail stew with tomato and celery. I used the recipe of Amanda Hesser from NYT

Cooked carrot, onion, celery in dices with pancetta and olive oil in a large pot for about 10 - 15 minutes and set aside. Seasoned the oxtail with salt and pepper and browned all sides.

Added the vegetables, tomato paste and cooked until caramelised, stirred in white wine, followed with marjoram, cloves and cinnamon and lastly tomoto dice from can or fresh. Bring it into boil. Braised in oven with 165ºC / 325ºF with a close lid for 1.5 hour. Added celery and cooked for 30 - 60 minutes. (Longer if you want it more tender and this also depends how much liquid you have in the pot.)

Very good for a cold night

11 Likes

Fresh porcini risotto

Trippa, tripe with died tomatoes (bought in Eataly), I think in Roman style.

10 Likes

A recent lunch at Eataly. Mr n had Diavola Pizza. He was disappointed with the dough, rather heavy, not too impressed with the toppings. He had better with the same price elsewhere in Paris.

I had a gnocchi tonno pomodori così com’è gialli e olive taggiasche - tuna, yellow tomato and Taggiasca olives gnocchi. Quite good, maybe preferred the dumpling slightly larger in size.

We shared a burrata, cicoria ripassata et pomodori secchi - burrata with chicory sautéed with dried tomatoes as antipasto.

And beer! Baladin Wayan 5.8º and Baladin Super Bitter 8º.

9 Likes

naf, you’re on a roll! Many thanks.

2 Likes

Question on fresh egg pasta dough. I’m reading Flour + Water book right now.
A standard egg dough of 644 g or 22.7 ounces

• 360 g (2 cups) 00 flour
  • 1 1/4 tsp kosher salt
  • 300 g (1 1/4 cups) egg yolks (about 18 - 20 yolks)
  • 1.5 tsp EVOO

Did I misread? 20 yolks?! I quickly check other online recipes with the same dough size, varies from 2 - 6 eggs (mostly whole eggs) max.

Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

Made Agnolotti dal Plin tonight! Very good! Based on Flour + Water recipe with a few twists.

This dumpling originated from the Piemonte region. I used another dumpling dough recipe, the one proposed in the original recipe, with 2 whole eggs + 6 yolks dough scared me. What the heck to do with the whites!! (I have already 15+ whites from recent baking.) I think the extra yolks could give a lovely hue and a softer ravioli skin.

I ignored the rabbit meat, and used only pork shoulder and chicken thighs. Forgot to include Parmesan inside the dumpling, I used extra in the sauce and cut the butter. I think my dumpling form was not correct, based on the several photos I saw, they should be smaller and with a different fold.

Recipe:
https://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/recipe/agnolotti-dal-plin.html

Strongly recommended if you have time!! Note that the 4 servings was enough for 2 in our household!

12 Likes

So impressed! The only time I have ever seen or eaten plin is in Piemonte. Yours look amazing.

3 Likes

Panettone is also made in Sicily :slightly_smiling_face:. I’m seeking out Fiascanaro panettone , a recommended Sicilian import, this week .http://www.fiasconaro.com/en/prodotti/christmas/classici-en/natale-tradizionale/

This is another top Sicilian panettone maker

Out of the Northern Italian panettones I’ve tried, the Loison brand was the most decadent, with a buttery feather-light crumb. Much more buttery than any Pandoros I have tried as of yet. That said, I’ve only tried a $15 imported Pandoro, so a $40 Pandoro might be much more buttery.
(Edit: sorry not to quote your original comment in my reply!)

1 Like

@naf I love how the Pasta Grannies make everything look so easy. But as you caution, “if you have time”.

1 Like

Verona Mini Tomato Snack.
Photo: Dear …
Chef Giancarlo Perbellini - Verona. Michelin Starred Chef & Hotelier …

4 Likes

Pizza by: Salvo - Firenze, Tuscana.
The Pizza my Dear had.

7 Likes

Pizza: Salvo - Firenze, Tuscana ( the pizza I had ) …

7 Likes

Thanks! I see how it is folded now!

Saw some other videos, the channel is great!!

2 Likes

Looks great!

2 Likes

I am swooning over those pizze. Yum!

1 Like

Home made Potato Gnocchi with home made from scratch tomato sauce.

10 Likes