ITALIAN - Fall 2019 (Oct-Dec) Cuisine of the Quarter

Making Bolognese! Normally I use a mix of beef, pork and/or veal, but when I checked the freezer it turned out that what I thought was ground pork was actually ground lamb, so we’re trying a variation. :slight_smile: Three pounds of meat, two carrots, two stalks of celery, two small onions, 6 oz of tomato paste, milk and wine. Basta. Simple and (hopefully) delicious.

11 Likes

What is your method? I have finally arrived at an eggless gnocchi, which for me tend to be lighter. Yours?

1 Like

Son just left with a quart of yesterday’s Bolognese sauce and three tykes who will be hungry in an hour or so. (His wife is out of town and he tried to cage dinner here but we are invited out. Stuffed them full of soup and gingerbread men and sent them out with the sauce.)

2 Likes

Funny! Made bolognaise too yesterday. Recipe nearly identical to yours, from Flour + Water again. Meat was minced beef and pancetta, no ground pork, forgot to buy.

After 3 hours cooking.

Tried with homemade tagliatelle, the size and texture was right this time.

Next week, will try to make some no egg pasta.

11 Likes

Great! Do try to give a review on that! Would like to know more. :yum:

I stayed in Sicily for a year in my younger days, I didn’t recall panettone, but more Buccellato.

3 Likes

Today started to eat our second panettone. This one was with limoncello, and candied lemon peel.

I like the different gift wrapping of panettone, made it so special.

6 Likes

I believe I had that before. But I will try to have a look in shops to refresh my memories. Unfortunately a big strike is going on now in France with several occupations including transportation, going to the city centre becomes a very difficult task.

2 Likes

There are uncountable récipes for Gnocchi both potato & flour types.

Here is how I do:

1. Boil potatoes until tender. After cooling to room temperatura, they are peeled and pressed through a ricer.
  2. Then I spread the potatoes on a work Surface and let them cool completely.
  3. Next I form mounds and then a well in center. I add the beaten eggs, salt and freshly ground black pepper in the well or centre.
  4. The potatoes and egg mixture are worked together as I also add ecological flour from Italy and form a soft dough.
  5. A pastry scraper cleans the dough from the work Surface and helps mix the ingredients. Then I do not over work the dough or the gnocchi will be heavy.
  6. The dough is gathered into balls, and then rolled into a cylinder on a lightly floured Surface. It is then sliced crosswise into 8 large pieces. One of the pieces is rolled between hands and work Surface into long 1/2 inch strips. (like a rope).
  7. Using a pastry scraper I cut the ropes on a diagonal into pieces that are 3/4 inches long.
  8. The gnocchi pieces are pressed against fork tines, and I créate a ribbed impression this way. Rolling, cutting and pressing are repeated with all the remaining dough.
  9. A large pot of salted wáter is brought to boil, and 1 / 4 of the gnocchi are added to the pot and when they rise, to Surface – they are tender delectable.
  10. I use a slotted spoon to transfer the gnocchi to a buttered dish. And prepare in batches.
  11. Before serving, I drizzle the sauce ( I use 2 different: 1 Marinara totally by scratch or a butter herb sauce). Top with Reggio Parmigiani 36 months of ageing process.
    INGREDIENT MEASUREMENTS:
    2 and 3/4 kilos potatoes
    1 tsp salt
    freshly black ground pepper
    freshly White ground peopper
    2 large eggs beaten to blend
    3 cups unbleached Italian ecological flour - all purpose

Have a nice Sunday.
Off to shops to do some Christmas Shopping for our 2 grandsons.

9 Likes

Sunday Lunch, December 8th.
NIDI AL TARTUFO NERO.
BLACK TRUFFLES FROM ITALTOUCH.
Sparkling Wine from Bulgaria …

7 Likes

Monday´s Lunch. Japanese Eel

4 Likes

Minestra maritata, “married soup”, usually mistranslated as Italian wedding soup

10 Likes

There are uncountable versions of this soup in the Lucca area of Tuscany and the Napoli Region.

It is quite Delicious …

Lovely photo …

More zuppe, good old pasta e fagioli

10 Likes

Falso magro - Sicilian stuffed rolled meat

I searched for Sicilian recipes and found this “false lean” meat roll interesting, a dish dated from the 13th century.

My version I used beef filet than veal as suggested in the recipe. Also, pine nuts were replaced by walnuts. I used pancetta in the exterior of the roll. As for fruit, I chose raisins.

The egg yolk was “melted” during the cooking. I think to preserve the egg, maybe shouldn’t cut the egg.

Very yummy, will definitely make it again!

12 Likes

Wow, delicious.

3 Likes

Good as a festive dish, the original purpose.

2 Likes

Clementines and red onion

There is a tongue in cheek concept called the Infinite Monkey Theorem that postulates that if you sit a monkey in front of a typewriter long enough it will eventually produce the works of William Shakespeare.
Bouncing off that, I propose tonight’s main as Nonna’s Pasta. i.e., if you left enough grandmothers to create dinner out of their pantries, one would come up with

Broken pasta with leftover meatball mix, red peppers, portobellos, onion, basil, tomato paste and cream.

My apologies to this thread that has so far been brilliant and honest. Couldn’t help myself.

8 Likes

I sometimes did a mix with my leftover bits. Actually I once bought a big box of assortment of pasta on promotion, like 12 of them pre packaged. There was a bag of mix of different pasta! Looks like there was a logic for that mix. I think it was Garofalo (or De Cecco?), maybe this one. :laughing:

1 Like

@naf Too funny. Since I actually used something similar, small-cut pasta that I bought for soup. I really liked it in a pasta dish.

i might add that I bought this at Walmart which carries some interesting pastas, not least their own brand imported from Italy. Superior papperdelle and rotelli

3 Likes

Pasta Lunches …
Pasta (1)
Short Pasta (2)
Polenta (3)

8 Likes