ISO Portsmouth RI restaurant recs

Will be in Portsmouth in mid-May for 3 nights. Outdoor local seafood my preference. Winter doldrums so looking forward will help. ADA accessibility important. TIA !

1 Like

I will need some time to think about it. Where in Portsmouth are you staying? It’s a relatively large swath of the island, so driving from one end to the other can take a surprisingly long time. At the northern end, in Tiverton, I can first recommend The Red Dory which has a lovely small front eating deck but mind you, it can still be cool in May at the shore, particularly at dinnertime.

Recently, we’ve been eating in Warren, which is north of Portsmouth. My data for Newport will be outdated. Anthony’s in Middletown is a hoot, with good RI-style seafood and has an outdoor eating area but not very atmospheric (last time I was there, it was basically a tented area in the parking lot), especially if you are eating solo (large RI-style portions that you need to share).

Anyway, please provide some additional details and I can try to make some better recommendations.

1 Like

Thanks, Digga. Wyndham Middletown is the hotel. Meetings are in Portsmouth west of 114 on the coast, opposite the Prudence Island Lighthouse. I know The Red Dory having followed Steve Johnson there after many memorable meals at his Central Square restaurant. He’s no longer the owner. Regardless interested in food, accessibility for people I will be with, atmosphere ? , not so much.

1 Like

Just looked at Anthony’s menu, my kind of place. Could easily eat here 3 days in a row, however those who will be with me maybe once! Some people just don’t appreciate the finer things in life such as variety and/or food prepared anyway but what they are used to. And then, there’s the rest of us.

2 Likes

Looks like your meeting is taking place in the northern part of the island (Aquidneck). In that case, Bristol might be a good place to consider for dinner (versus Newport). Quito’s is a reliable place right on the water that will open for the season in March. For something a bit more upscale, there is DeWolf Tavern, although I haven’t been there in eons. Your co-workers may like The Boathouse in Tiverton - it’s the kind of place we take my parents to and then B and I end up having perfectly fine meals due to the nice views.

If you are considering Newport, Scales and Shells on Lower Thames St. never disappoints. Broadway has fun restaurants that a is tiny bit off the touristed tract of upper Thames St. But I don’t know which places will be offering outdoor dining.

1 Like

I can also recommend Fieldstones https://www.fieldstonesgrille.com/ if you are just looking for some pub grub type food. I think they do a fine job with their burgers and sandwiches, and they have a nice chicken pot pie.

2 Likes