ISO pepper from Cyprus known as shinos, shinia, skino, or skeeno depending on who's spelling. Any leads?

Anywhere in the GTA is fine because its surprisingly rare. Open to shipping in from another province or the US if necessary.

I’ve not heard of this before but it’s the sort of item that I’d perhaps expect to find at a Greek, Turkish or, more vaguely, Eastern Mediteranean supermarket.

FWIW, I found it for sale here in the UK, on this Cypriot food website, so may be something similar near you.

1 Like

I have never heard of this before either but it is the same Plant that Mastic Resin is harvested from. That is used to flavor Turkish Delight, Liquors, Cakes and Pastries in the Eastern Med. Also used as Chewing Gum thus the Name from the Latin “Masticando”

This pepper comes from a tree in Cyprus. Its used in the making of Greek wine sausage (Loukanika).

Yes I saw that, just thought the rest of the info was interesting though off topic a bit. It looks like Cyprus is one of the few places that use the seeds from the Pistacia Lentiscus Plant. The Resin is used much more broadly, all the way to Morocco from what I see. Of course it is not really “Pepper” at all.

Yes. Greek Cypriot cuisine is different to Greek cuisine (although there’s some similarities by way of geography and culture). Loukanika is delicious.

FWIW, my partner went to school on the island (where her school bus was once attacked by Greek Cypriot terrorists)). Her younger brother was born there.