ISO: Omakase [Greater Boston]

Hi all,

Very, very long time lurker and ex-CH here. Thank you all for many insights over the past several years!

I’m hoping that someone can point me in the direction of a good choice for a really excellent, maybe more traditional omakase sushi meal in the Boston area. This is for a special meal to celebrate my daughter’s 16th birthday. She is a huge sushi fan but maybe not entirely adventurous when it comes to more interesting preps, so e.g. O Ya may not be a good choice if it’s as fusion-y as I remember from my last visit there about a decade ago.

Prior to COVID I took her to Cafe Sushi for omakase, which she really loved, and also No Relation, which we found to be somewhat less interesting. I also visited Umami in Cambridge last year and thought that was a somewhat hit or miss meal, perhaps slightly better than what I recall of No Relation, but certainly no Cafe Sushi. Not sure if either of those places have improved of late.

Anyway, probably enough information; I really appreciate any suggestions or guidance here!

1 Like

Welcome, Adam (@a_m ).

I was a big Cafe Sushi fan (as are others here), but, alas, no omakase yet, and, anyway, your daughter has been there. There are other, more omakase-aware posters here than I, and I’ll let them speak up, but let me mention that my best experience in that culinary area last year was this:

They’ve changed their operation since I posted that. Their website is

and it’s a bit confusing, but if you can find a way to contact the owner (Youji) you may be able to get him to arrange a special celebration.

Thank you @fooddabbler ! This looks like something I’m going to have to figure out how to try whether or not we use it for my daughter’s birthday.

@a_m I think I remember you (another Adam?).In any case welcome and what an auspicious occasion to join us.

I have no specific omakase data points but I wonder if suburban sushi joints might be accommodating? In my home base of Arlington, we still haven’t been to Toraya but I wonder if they would do something special for your daughter. Similarly, Sono Sushi, although Chinese-owned, always does a nice job for special occasions for us, including a beautiful sushi boat on the occasion of my kid’s 1-year birthday party. The guys at the sushi counter seem to enjoy doing showy rolls, etc., which, while pedestrian, might be fun.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply @digga. My handle back then was “davis_sq_pro” if that rings any bells. (Alas, for better or for worse I’ve long since moved to Melrose, so that name no longer works.)

Interesting idea re: Toraya. I’ll check that out. Unfortunately for my wallet, fancy rolls aren’t going to cut it here; I’ve trained her perhaps a bit too well and she’s tasted the good stuff before :slight_smile:

1 Like

I DO remember your posts and as a fellow former-Somervillian, I feel your pain of being in the burbs.

Someone I just thought of is Sang Lee, a sushi chef who I’ve been following. He runs an omakase bar in Gloucester and he also does private events. Talk about a dent in your wallet. But a private event would probably be memorable for everyone lucky enough to be included.

1 Like

Oh wow, this is perfect – exactly what I was looking for when I came here. No need for a private event as there will only be four of us dining. Apologies if I wasn’t clear upfront as to what I was looking for; when I said “special meal” I meant special in that we don’t regularly go out for $150+/head dining, and in this case my budget is more or less unlimited. (Although I think it won’t need to go too far unless we decide on O Ya.)

2 Likes

Just wanted to follow up here. We ate at Sushi Sang Lee tonight. It was really, really good! One of the best sushi meals I’ve had in the Boston area. I wish I had some decent photos to share but alas, I was too busy eating and missed the opportunity. Anyway, I highly recommend giving it a shot and I will definitely return myself. Thanks for the recommendation!

4 Likes

No firsthand experience, but Laughing Monk offers omakase, including a “to go” option for eating at home.

1 Like