ISO great Portuguese Muffins - what bakery has them and will ship?

The “3” and Amarals looked very similar to each other (if they don’t look it from the pic, I probably put one upside down), but after one round of toasting, 3 was warm and soft, while A was dry and brittle. Plus that weird spicy undertone.

1 Like

I love every single thing about this report. Thank you!

3 Likes

This is great. Thanks for the report!

1 Like

Echoing some of the results of your taste-test. Amaral’s Portuguese muffins were in my supermarket on my recent run, so I bought a package. My husband and I didn’t like them as much as other bolos levedos we’ve had, so I won’t be buying them again. I have a hunch these ones are best bought fresh at the bakery and enjoyed soon after baking (not unlike the fluffy Italian white bread loaves of my childhood).

Also take a look at these two muffins from the same package. Quite different in size and color.

2 Likes

I’m jealous you have such easy access. The one we liked best - 3 meal muffin - cost us $9 per package with the shipping. I saw photos of them selling in NE groceries for less than $4.

1 Like

3 Meal is next for me to try. Our regular supermarket (Market Basket, for Massachusetts folks here) offers various brands of bolos levedos at different times.

I don’t think the rotation is specific. More that you just get whatever you randomly find on the shelf. :laughing:

1 Like