ISO Caesar salad dressing reicpe

My lazy, no-egg recipe is similar to @HappyOnion’s but with a bit less anchovy, since DH doesn’t like it too strongly fishy. I sometimes use a bit of fish sauce instead of anchovy if I don’t have an open jar. Here are the approximate quantities:

1-2 anchovy filets, mashed or 1 t. fish sauce
2 cloves garlic, mashed to a paste or pressed through a garlic press
1 cup Hellman’s extra-heavy or regular mayonnaise
2 -4 T. white vinegar and/or lemon juice
1/2 c. finely grated Parmesan cheese
lots of freshly ground pepper
salt to taste

Whisk everything but the vinegar and salt together, then add acid until desired flavor is achieved. Season with salt (may not need any) and taste again for balance before serving.

2 Likes

I do know that in the simpler-than-simple dressing I like on my coleslaw, the only thing resembling a “secret” is that it needs what looks like far, FAR too much pepper. Romaine is obviously much more delicate than cabbage though, so it’s not the same.

1 Like

[pulls jar of pretty-OK Caesar dressing out of the fridge, reads label]

Dijon mustard?

Not authentic … might be good …

mustard is often used as an emulsifier…
good to keep it ‘stable’ for a while.
I’ll take mustard over the long list of chemical ones any day!

1 Like

The legend of dwindling kitchen supplies being the mother of invention includes Frank and Teressa’s Buffalo wings and who knows what other classics.

2 Likes

It’s an attractive type of story because it makes the protagonist look resourceful and brilliant even if they were mainly lucky.

Not to take away from the fact that the people who invent good and/or popular dishes do deserve fair credit for doing so. I enjoy food and appreciate the people who make it happen. :slight_smile:

Recipes are just a guideline for what you want to make . How boring it would be just doing that .

I always Garum in my Caesar dressing.

And lime (not lemon) juice.

Saw this too late, but for next time, I have enjoyed the results of these, which one I use depends on whether I have anchovies / anchovy paste or not, and also whim. You can vary garlic and lemon to your taste - they’re both quite pungent already, so I wouldn’t add more before tasting.

Julia Turshen - Simple Victories

Chrissy Teigen - the second Cravings book

1 Like

How interesting that these both, and many above, have mayo as an ingredient. The one thing I’ve never done, because I didn’t think it was in the original (or even replicas that tried to stay true to the original). Well, maybe I will give that a shot. It would be hilarious to discover that my mayo-disliking caesar loving son has been having mayo in all his favorite caesar dressings.

It’s a shortcut, and while I am all for “authenticity,” if the end product tastes like it should, that’s what matters. Try it with bottled mayo. if it’s not quite right, make 1 egg mayo using an immersion blender, that probably gets even closer, and you will have good mayo left for something else.

FWIW, I didn’t enjoy mayo for a long time, but I did like a few things that either used it or were similar in taste / texture - Caesar salad dressing being one of those.

I agree. That’s why although I keep using what I think is “authentic” ingredients, I have not been happy with the results and am still in search of something more closely resembling what we’ve eaten and enjoyed.

The parmesan makes a difference imo, so maybe on one of your trials splurge a bit on that and see if it makes the difference.

1 Like

I put about 1/2 cup grated into the last batch. I think the mayo may make a bigger difference :slight_smile:

I’d guess (sort of repeating myself) that unless he’s mostly been at the type of places where time-consuming fresh-made dressings are the expectation, he probably has.

I would understand “mayo is OK in Caesar dressing but I don’t like it on its own”.

We think we’ve seen an account that supports nachos making the list.

I saw your comment above. We don’t generally go to the French Laundry, but we don’t slum it either. I would say the vast majority of our restaurants we patronize are non-Sysco.

I’m not knowledgeable enough to discuss different “tiers” of restaurants if that’s even a useful thing, but my stereotyped view is that the majority of restaurants are not doing handmade fresh-egg Caesar dressing.

The New Basics Lemony Caesar is my default recipe, although I put in a bit of anchovy if I have it, or a little fish sauce, which is always on hand. It’s one that comes closest to my ideal and easy - no egg. I’m picky and don’t like most resto versions, excepting a few places I’ve found. Tutta Bella Pizza in Seattle makes an excellent one, when we can dine out again. Hopefully they survive! I typically never order Caesar out, except when I know it’s really good. I’ve had too many that disappoint. It’s all somewhat subjective, like everything else.

I think you would be surprised the number of “non slum” restaurants that are Sysco clients.

2 Likes