ISO Advice for Cooking Morels, King Trumpets w/ Pasta

I first began eating them when we moved to Oregon in the early 90s. They were foraged but I always found them clean and no bugs!!! Now in Reno/Tahoe, I have to depend on WF but a few years ago a local restaurateur got something like 20# that someone had foraged in an area where there had been a big wildfire. He gave me 1/4# and I was ecstatic as you can imagine :slight_smile:

1 Like

OP here.

After a couple of days and some brisket therapy, I’ve come to terms with the Immorel Conduct: Failure to Flav episode. First off, it does seem like the over-washing was central to the disaster. But those little f&^%rs were downright dirty and the sellers in the booth both said emphatically that they required leek-level cleaning. But – there was good advice here and I thank everyone for weighing in and sharing their experience.

But I think they ALSO were lousy morels and that forgoing the cleaning would have led to little more than the same tasteless nubbins of nothing but with the addition of a mouthful of Fresno grit. I mean – FRESNO?! What was I thinking? “Why, sure, I’d love to try Amarillo’s newest gourmet export: dayboat scallops!” Ask me what foodstuff I associate with Fresno and it’s the California Raisins. DRIED FRUIT. About as far from FUNGI as you can get. Oy.

(No offense to Fresno. I have friends there and it has a swinging arts community. I’ve eaten very well in Fresno. But I don’t think a place that’s a fiery hellscape a good part of year is probably not going to be Flavor Country for mushrooms. Or am I wrong?)

The King Trumpets are getting a good roast and some poached eggs on top.

1 Like

At least yours only had grit in them. I still had about 100 ants floating out after the third soak. Blech.

Never. Again.

1 Like

Here’s a piece that, at the end, has links to a bunch of recipes for morels.

http://greenyourplate.net/2011/05/in-season-morel-mushrooms-2/

1 Like

lots of good info and recipes for morels at Hank Shaw’s Hunter Angler Gardener Cook.

3 Likes

I am curious- Where in the Ferry Building did you get your mushrooms? Far West?

I believe it was Far West. We were inside, not out at the farmer’s market, and they’re the only purveyor of mushrooms listed. It was the first time I bought anything from them.

No need to apologize, it just came off as snarky to me, I can be sensitive haha

I read so much about morels and have never had them. Some of you have almost scared me off them, but I’ll be picking some up at the mushroom guy this weekend. I think I’ll simply saute in butter and have on toasted baguette, crostini-style.

1 Like

Ooh, that sounds perfect. A favorite restaurant did that with an assorted of wild mushrooms. We love it.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about this (and rereading McGee) and I’m not getting something. I can’t think of any other raw item that is so delicate that I could – literally – wash the flavor out of it. I could destroy the texture through washing, which would affect flavor, but we handled the mushrooms gently and they appeared to be in good shape. And what with sautéing, their flavor should have intensified, if anything.

I guess I just don’t want to be overly intimidated about how to handle them!

It happens . I purchased some last week . They were smallish . And was amazed at the lack of flavor . Last years were magnificent .

Valid point re intimidation. I just wonder if they absorbed the water and thereby diluted the flavor. I don’t have any idea. I’m so lucky and happy :slight_smile: that my experiences have been so good!

I honestly believe that your original mushrooms just weren’t very flavorful. What you did to them should have been fine.

1 Like

Mushrooms absorb next to no water when you soak them. AB did an experiment on his SE show years ago busting that myth.

1 Like

Thanks for that. Gotta be subpar mushrooms then?

Guess so.