ISO a great brownie recipe

Def my new favorite. Easy ingred great results.

1 Like

I am famous for my brownies! My sous chefs: Betty Crocker or Duncan Hines. The secret ingredient: 2 t. of vanilla. I also underbake them slightly. I feel a little guilty, but I’ve made brownies from scratch in the past, and people couldn’t tell the difference. Maybe my friends aren’t very discriminating!
What’s funny is that I don’t use box mixes for anything else, but I’m not much of a sweets baker either.

Which kind? There are so many versions - I.e fudgy, extra fudgy, triple chocolate, etc

Just out of the oven.

3 Likes

I was just scrolling to see if someone mentioned these yet!

This is my ABSOLUTE favorite recipe. As written, it makes an intense, buttery, fudgy brownie.

I’ve modified it to suit me - I use a stick of butter (so 8T rather than 10), do the melting in the microwave (unless you’re doing the brown butter version - then stovetop only), and if I’m making it for someone who prefers cakey brownies, I double the flour and add some baking powder.

Choc chips are not necessary bec it’s such an intense brownie, but that doesn’t mean I haven’t added them :joy:

Also makes the best GF brownies I’ve made / eaten (part of my family is currently GF so there have been several attempts) - because there is so litte flour, you can use any GF flour mix and it doesn’t have the gross gritty texture of other flour-forward GF brownies.

The LPQ belgian brownie is my favorite purchased one (if you don’t count TK’s bouchons), and the recipe is so close to this one I don’t bother because this is incredibly easy.

They freeze well, and others like them straight from the freezer but I don’t so I keep them there to prevent myself from eating a whole batch in short order.

Also, half a batch fits in a loaf pan.

1 Like

This time I added 1/3 cup chopped walnuts. Thxs for all your sub ideas.

1 Like

I tend to get ones that sound the most chocolatey (marketing!), and being on sale also helps. I do buy the ones that are for a 9 x 13 size pan, and not all varieties come in that larger size, sometimes called family size. I used to keep the whole thing a secret, but now I tell everyone. I think many people are relieved to find out that they can make something sweet and enjoyable but so easy.

1 Like

My wife has used a box mix for camping trips since brownies bake well buried in a fire pit. Then, she cuts them into squares to make s’more brownies.

2 Likes

Why didn’t I ever think of that - what a great idea!!!

1 Like

Do you bake it in the larger pan or do you still use the smaller one so they are thicker? I really like my brownies thicker.

No, I bake it in a 9 x 13 pan. But if you like thicker brownies, you could bake it in a smaller pan (8 x 8?) and just add some time.
What’s funny about this is that I don’t care for chocolate, and I’m not a big sweets eater. But I have to keep my fans happy!

1 Like

I think box brownies are pretty delicious! We had a regular weekend bake of them during college (my roommate was the “chef”…

Our changes were also to underbake slightly, and add half a bag of chocolate chips to any mix (sometimes the whole bag “fell” in :roll_eyes:).

But I rarely have box mix in the pantry, but I do always have cocoa and butter, so the cocoa brownie recipe is a lower bar for me these days!

1 Like