Is this poke?

(Posted this in “Is poke a fad?” But then thought it deserved a separate topic:

A new poke shop opened near me that is getting mostly great reviews and is highly recommended by old neighbors of ours who live closer to it and know good food. I’m going to try it soon, but have been reading that it is “new poke”. They serve basic fish, as in plain and unseasoned, on rice or greens but the fish is not marinated. Instead they serve it cafeteria (or Chipotle) style and you get to choose from a large number of toppings and sides. I though that traditional poke was always marinated and wonder how this style of service will affect flavor. Is this “new world” poke or just a different interpretation? Any thoughts from poke experts?

It’s New American poke’. Take away the soul of the dish and let everyone customize it to meet their level of comfort aka restrictions

1 Like

Does not sound like poke to me. Plus, I don’t think I’d like fish served cafeteria style. Then again, I can’t abide Chipotle.

2 Likes

More like lomi lomi [name your fish]

1 Like

Confession of a southerner… I was thinking poke as in poke salad…a foraged green

1 Like

Confessions of a Northerner… I had to Google pokeweed as I’d never heard of it. ;o))

1 Like
1 Like

So … is it polk or poke???

The correct term is “poke.” However:

So how did “poke” become “polk”?

In perhaps the first example of a grass roots election campaign literally utilizing a real herb as a promotional gimmick, President James K. Polk’s 1844 election supporters pinned pokeweed leaves to their lapels as a show of support for the candidate in a fun play on the two sound-alike words.

Because of this early mass popularizing of the word, it’s now common to see either “poke” or “polk” used almost interchangeably, even though “poke” is the technically correct form.

http://www.annistonstar.com/the_daily_home/polk-or-poke-it-s-your-sallet/article_9697b4cc-f44e-11e3-9fb8-0019bb2963f4.html

1 Like

Maybe it is like Japanese Chirashi bowl (raw dish, usually not seasoned):

It looks exactly like the top picture CK. So … this place is serving Chirashi bowls, not Poke bowls. They’ll have to change their name… maybe start a different craze? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Based on the little I have seen, some people sort of use these terms interchangeably or something in between.

'To a certain extent, the reliance on sushi flavors has pushed the product away from its Hawaiian roots. “I think the term poke has now been co-opted by a lot of these new places [in LA] as a more marketable name for what a lot of people might have called a chirashi bowl at one time,” says Brooks. ’

1 Like

I don’t understand this “solved” thing with the little green check mark. For one thing while I liked Bone Appetite’s post it did not “solve” the original question which was about Hawaiian poke, not Southern poke greens.

You’re replying directly to me, but… Since I didn’t (at least not knowingly) do anything to initiate that conclusion and/or green check thingy … I’m as clueless as you are.

1 Like

I think in theory, you (the original poster) are the one who conclude who solved your question.

I believe the idea is that someone posts a question, and there can be many answers. People may keep replying to the question 5 years from now. This “solved” button is to alert any future reader/poster that the question has already been solved.

As I said, though… I have no idea that I did anything to make that selection. Any idea what I would have had to do? If there’s a “solved button” here I’m completely unaware of it so far. No kidding! If I’d been aware of one I certainly wouldn’t have chosen that post as the solver.

1 Like

:slight_smile: I know you didn’t mean to. I was just saying that in theory the original poster is the one who able to select the proper answer, not the rest of the readers. Of course, there can be a computer hiccup. Don’t worry, I don’t think anyone won’t take that answer seriously. You can always reach out to the flag this post and ask the moderator if needed. If it doesn’t matter, then I would just forget about it.