Is this a wasp nest, and what should I do?

Just saw this on the light fixture on my front porch. DH says its a wasp nest. Does anyone know if it is safe to spray it now while its cold out?Wasp%20Nest

The colder the better. Could be hornets or mud daubers too. I hate ’em all! :slight_smile:
But don’t spray the hot light bulb!

1 Like

Dirt dauber nests around here are tan with a wavy pattern. And it doesn’t look papery like a wasp nest. Whatever’s inside should be pretty sluggish this time of year - if they’re even still alive.

2 Likes

The whole thing makes me nervous!! Thanks all.

My friend seconds mud daubers, which isn’t the best news.
:slight_smile:

Looks like a mud dauber. That type wasp usually isn’t aggressive. If it is cold where you are the insects will be sluggish. They are sluggish at night too.

The nests are easy to smash/remove with a broom and/or a very strong stream of water. This time of year I think you’ll only find larva inside. Just in case wear long sleeves and have a can of wasp spray handy, They do tend to like specific spots so check this area every so often in the summer. It is easy to discourage them when the nest is first being constructed.

1 Like

Hmm, maybe I should get a pro?

No need. If it is cold do it in the day time, if it is warm do it at dusk.

It’s small and it is easy to do. I knock them off and crush by myself several times a year. And I am not a brave outdoors person! The broom handle give you plenty of distance. This type of wasp doesn’t chase after you like some varieties do.

Spray the nest first if you are worried. The sprays work from 20 feet away. Once sprayed you’ll know if there are any mature wasps in there. I suspect they have gone dormant or whatever they do in the winter.

3 Likes

I agree - mud/dirt daubers are harmless for the most part. I hate wasps and hornets but daubers don’t scare me at all.

1 Like

They all scare me!!!

1 Like

Oh I understand how you feel. It’s just that they’re all over the place here in Texas so you get used to them after awhile.:blush:

My vote is to bag them up and try this out. I saw this on TV a while back. ( yes I am kidding about trying this lol)

Serious question, does the venom evaporate when cooked? I’d be scared of getting stung in my throat…or maybe the stingers are just mashed up in the process.

1 Like

Btw - It’s not indifference towards the dauber types. I’ve never known one to sting a human. They really just fly around, build nests and mind their own business. Which is why they don’t bother me.

1 Like

Yes! They are just a very docile type of wasp.

2 Likes

A very good quality in wasps!

2 Likes

Late to respond but as others have noted, wasps (and bees) are less active when the weather is gray or it’s dark outside. Cold helps too and may have killed the wasps.

Wasps used to like building nests under our old deck in the summer. We’d deal with the nest at night, well covered in clothing, using one of those cans of wasp spray that’s effective from many feet away. And we stayed ready to run back inside.

This is not a job for a sunny day so fortunately the gray, cold weather is in your favor.

3 Likes

You got me wondering! Short answer seems to be to remove wings, legs and stingers first.

Discussion in Rewild mentions SAS Survival Handbook. Insect preparation begins at page 95. Interesting book!

http://www.landsurvival.com/downloads/SAS%20Survival%20Handbook.pdf

Based on reading your info, I think that’s a survival situation while eating a single wasp or two. Imo, eating an angry wasp isn’t worth the risk if you are fighting to stay alive lol. I think the Mexican recipe above just pulverizes the stinger and I think the venom is just cooked out of the bug. I like the fact that the Mexican women are pounding shots of mescal as the sun comes up. It’s 5 o’clock somewhere! :smile:

1 Like

Thank you all for your help. I lucked out. I live in a condo/townhouse and the landscapers did it for me!!! :grin:

5 Likes