Is it ok to tip less now with the new minimum wage hike? (SFBA)

Now that servers are getting a “living wage” why tip at all?

NO. A living wage in the bay area . Really . Single $ 14.37 a hour .

3 Likes

As someone responded previously to one of your other tedious posts in the same vein, next time you’re in a restaurant you should tell that to your server. Let’s see whether you’re willing to put your money where your mouth is.

4 Likes

I live in a low/no tip culture. I’m sure that British workers would love to have a national minimum wage of the equivalent of $14.37 (currently equates to $9.47 and less for under 21s) - although many restaurant servers have a rate better than the national minimum, although not by much)

Sure, if you want to be seen as an old skinflint.

3 Likes

I get confused with this whole loving to tip people attitude of most forums. People tend to trip all over themselves to tip better than the next person. If a server is being paid below minimum wage then tips are needed. If someone is being paid a living wage, I fail to see why a 20% tip needs to be added above and beyond the living wage. The menu prices should already reflect the increased wage prices which in my mind should essentially make the old gratuity already a part of the new meal price. I know most will disagree.

1 Like

Rick

That will be “most forums” where the main contributors are American.

You will not see similar on forums where the main contributors are European. It is a non-subject for us. Even though there are widely differing tipping practices in the various countries, you will not generally see Europeans asking, for example, “How much should I tip when visiting Slovenia”.

Yes, the forums I look at mostly have Amercican participants.

Good question. No idea.

When restaurants have eliminated tips in favor of a living wage for all workers the prices have been raised by at least 20%. If it makes you feel good to tip 20% on top of that by all means go ahead if it’s allowed but it kinda defeats the purpose of the policy change.

In my area Joes Crab Shack recently changed their policy to no tipping needed and have raised their prices accordingly. I think this is a good thing since the back of the house workers get a raise and deserve it

2 Likes

Minimum wage and a living wage are two different things. The former is rarely the latter.

3 Likes

StoneSoup, I’m not confused by a minimum wage vs a living wage. Not sure what your post was intended to imply.

This is the quote I was replying to: “If a server is being paid below minimum wage then tips are needed. If someone is being paid a living wage, I fail to see why a 20% tip needs to be added above and beyond the living wage.”

Ah, got it. I should have said at or below minimum wage.

1 Like

Then, of course, we have the issue of determining what is a living wage. It varies hugely by region.

But shouldn’t a living wage provide equal spending power regardless of location? Isn’t that sort of the point of a living wage? You need to earn more in San Francisco than you do in Pittsburgh to achieve the same standard of living.

1 Like

If your renting a 1 bedroom apartment in San Francisco the average is $ 3,400.00 a month . So a single what’s called a living wage @ 14.37 a hour with no tips = negative $ 1,000 . So you would be living outside in a box .

Livng wage does not mean you get to rent a 1 bedroom apartment all by yourself in the city right next to your job. I make more than a living wage and it takes me 45 minutes to get to the office.

2 Likes

In SF ?

No. But let’s say the goal of a living wage is no more than 30% of the income is going to be spent on housing, as per a living wage definition I found on investopedia. That means a busboy in SF should be making low six figures. Imagine the prices on the menu!

Even with a living wage, you may need to have roommates and live in a less desirable location.

2 Likes