Irish Court Rules Subway Bread is not Bread

Sure. Remember corn gets added to gasoline also no one suggests not eating corn. Silly people.

2 Likes

Mod: Combined your topic with an earlier topic on the same subject. Thanks.

2 Likes

True. When I was a kid it was always a treat going to one of the early branches of Subway in New London CT when we took the ferry across from Long Island. Although it has been years since I’ve had it, I still have a soft spot for the fake crab meat.

1 Like

I’m confused, I thought it was already established that Subway bread/rolls were actually yoga mats? Now they are yoga mats with excessive sugar?

There are dozens of posts about this but the very off putting smell of their in store baking turned me off from them a long time ago.

1 Like

There’s a section of our local mall where you can get trapped between the vile smell of Subway baking and the vile smell from a popcorn stall. I have neevr lingered long enough to decide which is the more vile.

4 Likes

This kind of crap makes me so tired. Maybe we should ban baking soda and vinegar, because you can make a toy volcano out of them. OMG VOLCANO YOU COULD DIE!

1 Like

Except in NJ. There is no science in NJ. I did science night with my nieces for a while. The girls lost interest in the volcano after a while but my wife and SIL had never seen it before and were rapt. This is not the first time the family Jersey girls have run headlong into the poor science education in NJ schools.

@NotJrvedivici @MsBean @CurlzNJ and the entire NJ crew.

1 Like

My father, a physicist who lives in Monmouth County, would beg to differ. And my own science education (also in Monmouth County) was decent enough. But it was also 40ish years ago, so who the hell knows what things are like now.

2 Likes

My wife and her siblings grew up in Avenel. Maybe the school system there? Would have been 60s, 70s, and 80s (big gap between my wife who is oldest of four and her sister who is younger by ten years). I could not believe that they had never seen the baking soda volcano. The potato clock was an eye opener. We won’t talk about blowing up a tree stump with magnesium and hydrochloric acid. grin That was fun. Exothermic reactions (same that heat military rations) really got their attention.

“There is no science in NJ” is now a family joke.

Worth noting that the AEGIS weapon system was born in New Jersey and there were a LOT of tests "targeting"cars on the NJ Turnpike. NJ is home to Stevens Institute, Rutgers, Princeton, and a number of other major centers of learning. Of course there is Maxwell House in Hobokon which is no slouch in applied chemistry and culinary science. Smells nice on the Hudson River also. grin Not an exhaustive list.

I will never forgive NJ for not having the volcano in elementary school. grin

1 Like

For others who may have been deprived:

I think this was fourth grade.

I was also going to say that I think it depends/depended on the school system. Then again, I was way more interested in Liberal Arts and band to pay close attention to science… :rofl: But I can tell you that having worked for a MAJOR non-profit in the '90s that the NJ pharmaceutical industry was the strongest in the country…we used to quote the fact that more $$ came back to NJ via our national office because of all of the research taking place here. So there’s that.

2 Likes

But do you remember the volcano? grin

1 Like

There was also an obscure fellow by the name of Thomas Edison who had a modest little lab in NJ.

3 Likes

Who took credit for a lot of work done by others elsewhere. grin

Let’s not forget the elephant.

1 Like

Subway bread is vile. Can’t even stand the smell of it.

2 Likes

I Never made it, but I do feel like I knew about it growing up…

I always felt the same way about Subway. The few times I tried it over the years was more than disappointing. Sub par meat, skimpy to boot, all veggies. Just plain yucky. Then last year we were on our way home and stopped at a truck stop in OK. My husband picked up an Italian sandwich (against my better judgement). Salami, pepperoni, hot peppers and oil mix. The Italian specialty bread was fresh out of the oven and oh so crispy. Absolutely delicious and we munched on it all the way back to TX.

I tried the one in town later on wondering if it would be the same. Pitiful , just the way I remembered it used to be. Subway does have a huge following. Other than that one hit rather than miss at an OK truck stop, I still don’t understand why people flock to this place.

1 Like

Subway does not do a good job of maintaining consistency. Here there are two stores. One is miserable and the other is darn good.

3 Likes

Wait, there’s a Subway in Paris?!? Why, and who eats there (except the curious American)? At least with a McDonald or other Americana fast food chain, I see a lot of iconic appeal. All the salt and fat hides the lackluster taste. I guess I never did get the appeal of a Subway since it’s essentially a sandwich/sub chain, and I’m not a huge sandwich or sub fan.

The only time I had a Subway sandwich was on a long bus ride from Arizona up to Yellowstone National Park, and we stopped at Subway for a lunch stop at a tiny strip mile that was in the middle of nowhere. Wasn’t even a particularly good sub.

Is a cake a sandwich? :thinking:

3 Likes