Invited to a dinner party . What do you bring ?

Because in a lot of instances, it’s a lie, like @ipsedixit says. You never know whether the host REALLY wants nothing, or whether trash will be talked about you if you fail to recognize that “Don’t bring anything” really means “Obviously, I’m not going to tell you to bring something - that would seem greedy - but people who arrive empty-handed are boors.”

5 Likes

emglow has the limitation of time and place. I understand the paucity of shopping in a tiny community. I’m thinking of what’s available at our village general store. (Of course, it’s also an ACE Hardware, which would be cheating.) Maybe prowl the aisles and see if any interesting items pop out.
I sometimes bring stuff for breakfast. Lemon curd; jam; nut butter; home made scones or crumpets if I’ve time.

3 Likes

That’s extra work for you? If one of our friends brings over something we don’t care for, we bring it to the next gathering. But perhaps your kitchen is really small and you lead an extremely busy lifestyle.

3 Likes

Yes, I would never bring a dish unless specifically requested by the host. We are hosting a couple of friends for dinner tomorrow, and they both asked if they could contribute something to the meal. Our menu is set, from app to dessert, but of course wine is always, always welcome in this household. We’ll likely drink it all with dinner & after, too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s rude in some cultures (Greek, for instance) to show up empty-handed. They’ll usually bring wine, a dessert, but sometimes another dish. Some Greeks will say not to bring anything, then complain when you don’t bring anything. Safer to bring something.

If you don’t like what you received, give it to charity or someone else.

I wouldn’t think of showing up without some sort of hostess gift. I rarely get invited to house parties, relative to the number I have hosted over the last 30 years . This is partly a regional and generational situation. Most people I know meet in pubs and restaurants and don’t host house parties. The hostess gift is a token of my appreciation.

4 Likes

I do something similar to what @gracieggg posted.

I have a collection of kitchen towels I’ve bought over the years and will use one to wrap a bottle of oil or vinegar, or some such thing for the host. I try to theme the towel to the type of event or to what I know about the host. I keep a stash of “gifts” cuz you just never know when you’re going to be invited somewhere.

3 Likes

I’m watching some old episodes of Come Dine With Me and the guests always bring wine or flowers, or both.

3 Likes

You could always make a donation to the local soup kitchen in their names. I imagine you could do it on-line and print out the “Thank you” from the soup kitchen…

I believe that the original poster is American.

We don’t practice taarof here except for in the South where apparently it’s used as a tool for gossip.

1 Like

A very dear friend once bought a two inch potted rosemary. It grew and grew and always evoked wonderful memories of her.

11 Likes

Brilliant.

Adding a little levity to this query, Rite Aid’s website suggests these two gifts, guaranteed to knock you off the guest list.

1 Like

You were asked not to bring anything. In such a case, I would send a thank you a day or two later. Could be a sincerely-written note or card, or an arrangement of flowers or edibles (dried fruit, chocolates, or nuts). Here’s one I sent via Amazon. It is in a foam oasis so no vase is needed.

5 Likes

One New Year’s Eve my brother-in-law’s girlfriend brought along for dinner a bottle of 30-year-old port. I carefully decanted half the bottle and served it with Roquefort; it was ambrosia! I re-corked the bottle and gave it to her to take home after; I knew it wasn’t inexpensive.

On a trip to Montreal after, I saw it for $600+ a bottle at the liquor store. The lady did not realize what she had; she and her ex, who was in the business, split the contents of the wine cellar when they broke up.

5 Likes

I did something similar but not quite so long lasting recently.

I usually take something when I go to someone’s house for dinner. This time the hostess firmly stated she wanted nothing, and I knew another guest is allergic to bouquets. So I didn’t take any dish or flowers.

But my curry leaf tree is very prolific so I snapped off a branch with 10-12 sprigs on it and the hostess much appreciated that. She must have frozen the leaves because these do not do well stuck in a glass of water.

7 Likes

I was once invited to a barbecue at the home of a work colleague, with instructions to bring whatever I wanted to cook on the barbecue, and drink. I was surprised as he was not an impoverished student; he had a 150-acre spread and drove a Mercedes.

This time of year I wouldn’t mind receiving a quality Christmasy scented candle or a nice tree ornament or both. Not sure what Rite Aid has to offer though.

1 Like

We think all handwritten notes are the mark of upbringing and living with grace.

4 Likes

Or they might just call you a “bitch” … in a private message, no less. :wink:

2 Likes

My better half would agree with you 100%.

I, however, lack such grace unfortunately.

But, as with all things in life, I am trying to improve.