Int'l Housewares Assn Show--Unbelievable!

Well somehow even with their attitude Mauviel has the most amount of availability from different retailers.

Iv’e talked just a couple times to MauvielUSA and their front to any hint of of 3rd party seller is… if you are not Brick and Mortar we’re not going to really bother giving you the time of day.

Well Brick and Mortar is a tall order these days and even the biggest names in B & M retail satellites don’t have much copper on hand. Which is mostly what I am after from Mauviel and company. No wait fine ok I’ll take some Duralux Picardie 18 piece Glass sets while I’m at it.

Hi, Chem:

No, no exposed aluminum. The lining is continuous stainless.

Internally, the aluminum core isn’t bonded to the lining under the little domes.

I’m not sure how many of these they’re going to sell, either. From the consumer’s perspective, it’s Stainless with a slightly textured floor.

Aloha,
Kaleo

Oh I see. Interesting. Interesting. Thanks for the explanation.

Hmm I still don’t understand the AllClad d3 design. If the SS dimples aren’t laminated to the conductive aluminum, wouldn’t they be cooler and thus create more sticking?

So true. I am not sure why, but there must be a reason why they are doing this.

I confess I don’t understand the advantages either, but there are no airspaces or voids beneath the pimples.
So I dont think it’s a heat difference.

BTW I’m not a 3rd party seller. All I do is put up a few things on ebay and Craigslist every couple months. I usually end up buying more cookware after I sell stuff…to the point where the dominant decorative theme in my apartment is cookware. I think I have a problem.

2 Likes

Thanks for the writeup Kaleo, I keep thinking someday I’ll visit but haven’t had the time yet. Looking forward to seeing your company’s tech make it into products!

I’ve used such a pan; I wrote up a review a while back here: https://www.centurylife.org/in-depth-product-review-fissler-cookstar-base-products-solea-original-pro-with-novogrill-waffled-or-dimpled-pattern/

It sticks pretty much the same as regular stainless steel. If I need true nonstickiness, I reach for actual nonstick PTFE or ceramic and not for some wannabe-nonstick stainless.

I understand why they try to do stuff like this–one could make up plausible-sounding reasons like letting the fat drip away (George Foreman grill style), but at the end of the day my flat-bottom stainless does about as well as bumpy-bottom. And I’m fine with that because I like to make pan gravy from fond anyway. I suspect others who cook on stainless feel this way too.

1 Like

Color me cynical, too, Franz. But the head A-C designer claims this selectively-bonded feature has conductivity benefits. When I get the chance, I’ll ask him to explain what that means. In the meantime, let’s see what they put in their ad copy.

Aloha,
Kaleo

The conductivity ‘benefits’ are probably greater surface area and of course thicker aluminum at the dimples- than if there were no dimples.

What they mean by selectively bonded probably means that the bottom had to be treated in a similar fashion as the ‘impact bottoms’ used on the Fissler pans. I’m sure that was tricky to figure out, but obviously not impossible.

Good guess.

My wife usually goes but didn’t this year (Alessi, and one or two others). Let me know if you attend next year – maybe we’ll make an outing of it.

That would be fun.

I met Jens Menke at the Alessi booth. Alessi was in the housewares area, rather than cookware.