Interesting Specific Podcast Episodes

In the past few weeks (vacation) I’ve been catching up on some food related podcasts. There have been two episodes that I just really found interesting and thought - hey . . . maybe we could have a thread to highlight some interesting specific podcast episodes. I was thinking of highlighting specific episodes instead of podcasts in general since, lets be honest, even the good podcasts don’t have great episodes every time. But, given that this is the internet I guess we will see if this leads anywhere.

1 Like

Podcast: Gastropod
Date: August 27th, 2018
Title: Keeping it Fresh: Preservatives and the Poison Squad

It was an interesting history of food additives and preservatives in our food system and how they are (or are not) regulated today. It goes back to Harvey Washington Wiley (one of the first chemists back in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s). It was scary and interesting all at the same time. I think I knew some of what they were discussing about the lack of regulation of food additives but hearing it all together really made me think about things. Great episode

Podcast: Milk Street
Date: August 10th, 2018
Title: Gonzalo Guzman’s Nopalito

If you’re interested in butchering and where some cuts come from there was a very interesting (to me) conversation with two butchers from NYC - Erika Nakamura and Jocelyn Guest. They did a great job of walking through different parts of the cow and where some cuts come from. I was impressed that I could follow along from a podcast. Worth a listen.

https://www.southernfoodways.org/gravy/the-southern-story-of-coca-cola-gravy-ep-51/

Full details here. The Southern Story Story of Coca Cola.

Eater Upsell, a timely rememberance of J Gold.
I enjoy most of the episodes on Upsell.

Toast via Food52’s podcast
The Worst Food in the White House

One podcast I started tuning into covers cookbooks and their authors; Salt & Spine.

1 Like