Interesting reddit thread asking non-Americans "what's the best American food?"

And speaking of fall flavors . . . Does any other country (besides, maybe, Canada) have a cranberry addiction? Cranberry juice, cranberry sauce, cranberry muffins, etc.?

2 Likes

I follow these guys, he American and she Italian.
A lot of their videos are about this very subject.

2 Likes

As a wise man once told me, every label is a libel. OK, maybe he wasn’t so wise, but he was amusing and, as my thesis director, I was obligated to at least chuckle.

4 Likes

But the USA isn’t static. From states originated in 1776 to states birthed in 1960.
And we encompass all of it. :confused: I guess my view growing up in the center of the country probably varies from those on the coasts.

1 Like

Exactly. It is not static, which makes it undefinable.

(American) Food transcends borders.

1 Like

Is any country static? I think all cultures and their cuisines evolve and adapt,

Does no one else think that “American” is not how many of us who live in the Americas primarily define ourselves? Are there other countries that are as "hyphenated "?

4 Likes

In a way, I think the black currant is the equivalent of the cranberry in the UK, Poland, Germany and Austria, at least in terms of cranberry juice vs blackcurrant juice and baked goods.

I do swap lingonberries for cranberries, and I’m not sure if the Scandinavians are as lingonberry-crazy as the North Americans are cranberry-crazy.

1 Like

True. I suppose any berry that is easy to cultivate in a given climate gains popularity in its harvest season.

3 Likes

As a Canadian with a few identifiers, I think it’s problematic to use a national label only.

In conjunction with regional labels works better imo.

The Midwest food has more in common with Prairie food.

Obv, with big countries like Canada and the US, the growing seasons and ingredients that influence the local foods are largely regional rather than national.

I would say Canada is also highly hyphenated. Canada also has traditionally been called a Cultural Mosaic rather than Melting Pot, so slightly different approach to integration and multiculturalism as it relates to communities and food.

2 Likes

Regions tend to very proud of their local fruit. Huckleberries in Mt, blueberries in Maine, Saskatoon berry everything in Saskatchewan.

3 Likes

Agreed. But I think that’s what the reddit thread misses.
We figured out everything in 70 posts.
They took 34,000 to miss.
:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Very popular in the UK. Cranberry sauce is almost a given these days with the Christmas Day turkey. It’s a fairly recent import as an accompaniment, presumably mirroring its use at the American Thanksgiving meal. That said its not popular with our family and we only used to put it on the table for my late MiL (who would always eat something sweet). Cranberry juice also became popular when it was marketed partially as helping with urinary infections.

2 Likes

It’s fucking baby food to me. I can have it as a soup, but only with salty/spicy counterpoints.

Only fairly recently in the UK, due to a development in census recording and other developments in society. You do now hear of folk self-describing, for example as “British Asian” and “Black British”.

For myself, my self definition depends on circumstances. I am a European, with citizenship of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. I am proud to be from Northwest England where I am both a Cestrian and a Mancunian. And always a Manchester City supporter.

2 Likes

Only those with high rates of UTIs. j/k, I’d never heard of them until I moved to the US :wink:

1 Like

Sort of true for me as well. In the U.S. I’m from New York but I’ve lived in California for about 35 years. Internationally I’m “from” the U.S. In Nigeria I said I was "Black " but they did not believe me. There I was considered too light skinned. Someone there said perhaps my people were from Camaroon.

2 Likes

Why don’t you tell us how you really feel :wink::joy:

3 Likes

Oh, you’ll never have to wonder with me, dahlink :kissing_heart:

4 Likes

I don’t know about “as,” but Indian-style Chinese food is definitely a thing. I’m sure there are many other examples.

2 Likes