Ingredients that caused revelations

I wing it plenty, its nice to have a guideline.

1 Like

Please tell me more.

Wing the wing sauce…har

4 Likes

My interest was piqued when I came across this video: I’d never heard of Basque Chicken (Poulet Basquaise), but what’s odd is that he doesn’t use the authentic pepper in any form, as it’s hard to find. Only further study brought me to find recipes that employ these authentic flakes. The pappers come fresh in the Basque region, and they can be bought as a bottled pureed condiment of sorts or (as I did) as a dried, flaked pepper. It is really quite special, the dish and the pepper. I’m convinced i"m convinced the pepper’s massively versatile. For example, I’ve been thinking of trying to make my own soup dumplings (xiao long bao), and I think this would go great in the ground pork filling. A little goes a long way, btw.

lots of the other ideas here I use as well, but I also always dump a spoonful in when I’m making Korean scallion pancakes.

2 Likes

How can I forget freshly grinded Parmesan, XO sauce, any mushroom condiment with some real truffle.

Thank you! Kind of like chicken cacciatore with piment d’espelette.

Exactly, ChristinaM. Except I usually use mushrooms, too, in cacciatore. To be honest, I’ll say I found the Basque dish overall to be too mild for my preference, at least on day one. But those peppers were splendid. I think if I were to redo the preparation, in addition to adding the Espellete pepper flakes, I’d toss in some cayenne powder or a halved serrano chile or two. But I would NOT say that more of the Pimento Espelette was called for. It’s not a pepper about bite, but about wonderful, slow heat and aftertaste. I’d maybe add some citrus too–it’s really a special pepper. Halfway on the way to saffron for unreplaceable.

I don’t know much about Spanish cooking, but I know regional Mexico foods, and they vary greatly, and many of them diverge from the USA cliches in form and in being “hot./spicey”

I hear you. I make this stew recipe with b/s chicken thighs sometimes and it is GOOD! https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/pork-stew-with-sweet-hot-peppers-from-the-abruzzo-351490

I cook everything in the same pot to reduce the fuss.

1 Like

Thanks for the recipe, ChristinaM! Somehow, I’ve never thought to cook pork shoulder in an Italian fashion. (That’s what your link took me to, although you speak of chicken thigh.) For good chicken cacciatore, I can more or less improvise, but sometimes I’m motivated to really follow the Marcella Hazan recipe, or actually, a version of it that a friend made once, and it was terrific.

Yep, the original recipe is for pork. That is delicious, for sure.

Would love that recipe!

ChristinaM:

Here is the recipe as sent after I asked for it:

Chicken Cacciatore (with Haigwood variations)

See also Pollo alla cacciatore in The Classic Italian Cookbook by Marcella Hazan (309-310).

1 or 2 red peppers, roasted, peeled and sliced into thin strips
8 boneless and skinless chicken thighs
8 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
6 T olive oil
1 c. all-purpose flour spread on a dinner plate or waxed paper
1 ½ cups dry white or red wine
1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, peeled, halved or quartered, then chopped
1 stalk celery, halved or quartered, then chopped
1 clove garlic
1 can Italian tomatoes, coarsely chopped, with their juice (if the tomatoes are packed with basil, then remove the basil before adding them to the pan)
Salt to taste
Freshly ground pepper (4 to 6 twists of the mill)

Roast the red peppers under the broiler, turning occasionally until black on all sides. Set aside until cool enough to handle, then peel and slice into thin strips, carefully removing all seeds.

Choose a skillet large enough to hold all of the chicken without much crowding. Heat the oil in the skillet over moderately high heat. Turn the chicken pieces in the flour, coating both sides, and shaking off all excess. Brown them in the pan on both sides, and put them on a large platter as they are done.

When all are done and have been removed from the pan, turn the heat to high, add the wine, and boil rapidly until it is reduced by half, scraping and loosening any cooking residue in the pan. Lower the heat to medium, add the sliced onion, and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring two or three times. Add the chicken, roasted red peppers, carrots, celery, garlic, chopped tomatoes with juice, salt and pepper. Adjust to a slow simmer and cover, cooking until the chicken is done through and tender, about 30 minutes. Turn and baste the chicken a few times as it cooks. Serves a dinner party of eight people, with plenty leftover for more than one dinner for two.

This is best if cooked a day or two before you plan to serve it. I generally refrigerate it in the same pan in which it was cooked, then slowly re-heat and serve it in that same pan. But I’ve also put the meat on a platter with a bit of the sauce drizzled over, passing the rest of the sauce on the side. Note: although it is less authentically “rustic” to use boneless and skinless thighs, I prefer that guests don’t have to struggle with boney pieces, such as wings, etc., and also that I can skip the step of skimming off all the fat from the skin. However, some might argue that the skin and bones add richer flavor.

2 Likes

Thanks much!

Keta, aka chum salmon is lower in fat and OM 3 than some of its cousins. Nothing really wrong with that depending on the application.

I understand but it taste fine , between that, the price and convenience in packaging as well as the marinade, cannot be beat.

I too love fish sauce, miso and gochujang and add it to whatever I can. I would say for me it’s really experimenting with different vinegars. Not a specific kind but being bolder with using it more often and experimenting with different types. Not just balsamic, sherry, rice or white anymore! It’s definitely brought more balance to my cooking.

On the opposite end, I’m still waiting for my wow moment with rice koji. While I’ve tried it in marinades and dressings that have all been good, I thought it was going to smack me in the face with how much better things tasted, and I can’t say I had that reaction.

I’d like to try my hand at making them someday, but unwaxed lemons are near impossible to find, and I don’t really want to go through the trouble of getting wax off supermarket lemons. I also really enjoy the flavor of the ones from Les Moulins Mahjoub.

“unwaxed lemons are near impossible to find”

I am originally from NYC, so I can imagine. What’s harder to imagine is here in N. Cal, during certain times of the year, they literally fall from trees and lie there, like garbage. MEYER lemons! Madness. I make preserved lemons every year.

4 Likes

Anybody know how long to keep miso? I’ve had a couple tubs forever. Which color is the most versatile?

Here’s a 2015 guide from Huffpo

A Guide To The Different Kinds Of Miso, And How To Use Them

More recent from Cooking Light
Cooking Light…and 5 brands we love!

One more, with much more detail, from Diversivore

1 Like