Ingredients that caused revelations

Pretty mundane compared to all f yours but my first life changing discovery was Maldon salt. I already had a pretty good collection of salts, including fleur de sel, but Maldon salt just blew me away.

2 Likes

I love Maldon salt . But my all time favorite is the Cyprus flake sea salt .

7 Likes

Vadouvan. I’ve only used the commercial, powdered version. From what I have read, the homemade sounds like it would be sublime, but easy to burn or otherwise screw up. As it is, the commercial style contributes a deep curry flavor to foods without adding what would be too much heat for what I’d term a traditional middle/northern European palate.

1 Like

Yes, this I’ve found is the best curry mixture for Mr Rat’s Swiss tastebuds. I have made it from scratch and yes, it’s pretty amazing - but I also feel like the pre-made vadouvan I get at Kalyustan’s is pretty amazing too and a useful thing to have on hand in the pantry.

2 Likes

A little late for this topic but here goes
I can not do without Chipotle and Adobo sauce as well as a tin of anchovy in olive oil
Miso, I use for fish ( seared salmon , chilean sea bass), using the same pan that i seared the fish in, add olive oil with ginger, spring onion, garlic, a tablespoon or two of miso ( depending for salt) , soy sauce rice vinegar or sherry, , let the sauce thicken- no more than a few minutes and serve over fish
SPANISH SMOKED PAPRIKA and for paella and cataplana
DATU PUTI PINOY SPICED VINEGAR ( COCONUT VINEGAR) 375 ml - This is one of the best salad dressing. It is so good on grilled vegetables with EVV. I discovered this 2015 in an Asian Store for $1.69. It was so good, even for marinading chicken etc. So, I went back and purchased 10 bottles.Started to give away as gift bec friends who visit swear by them and what is a bottle between friends? Next thing I know, it went up to $2.69 and then up to $3.50 if I can find it. Googling, I found out that it was so successful overseas even in UK that the companies that were exporting it had to go to the supreme court of the Philippines to decide who has the right to export it. By 2016, I no longer can find it but a friend who came for dinner found it in a remote Asian store, 2 hours from the DC Metro region, where there were very few Asian immigrants, bought all their stock for $3.50 per bottle. She let me buy 10 of them. I now have 12of them. Today, my son who is in Europe found it on sale at Walmart for $2.60/bottle, free shipping when you buy $35. I wonder if this matter has been settled in court, but at any rate, I am ordering another 12-15 bottles!! IT IS REALLY GOOD IF YO U LIKE SPICEY VINEGAR or as an ingredient for dips for your Dim Sum. I am having problem, uploading and downloading pictures. Go to WALMART’S WEB SITE. DATU PUTI is the name of the company just like Heinz. They make a lot of vinegar etc but just look for Pinoy ( shortcut for Filipino) Spiced Vinegar in 375 ml made out of coconut vinegar. Y OU WILL NOT REGRET BUYING THIS

4 Likes

Alright I’m curious. Is this it?

1 Like

naf, I just posted something now. I hope u will read it as I do not know how I can pass it on to you and alert you.
It is under INGREDIENTS THAT CAUSED REVELATIONS

that is it.
It is really fantastic as a substitute for Italian Dressing if you like spicy things
SHAKE IT EACH TIME
Tuba ( aged coconut vinegar) should be healthy
I like to spray EVV on my veggie, ( romaine lettuce or mixture of eggplants, brussel sprouts, squash grill them then dip it with this
I also like it as part of my soy sauce, garlic and sesame oil dip for my dim sum
I do not know if it will ever come back down to $1.69 but this is a great buy .

I forwarded this finding to my son’s friend who has been to our home for dinner and really loved Pinoy Spice from Datu Puti.
I gave her a bottle and told her that I had been unable to get more.
She was the one who discovered this from Walmart and forwarded it to my son.

@rooster
@naf

I had a question from rooster as to which Datu Puti as rooster saw two kinds at Walmart.
Hope rooster gets this

This is the only tuba vinegar i found on the site:

I tried retracing my steps but only found this today. It might have even been the bottle art was dark in one shot and light in another…

Too long ago for confirmation now. Sorry.

here it is…

We have a large Asian neighborhood in Vegas with several large grocery stores, and once I discovered fish sauce, I was hooked. I was still hooked even after knowing how it’s made! About the same time, I discovered that anchovies weren’t just for pizza (to be picked off :grin:) or Caesar salad, but could be used in a variety of dishes. Once I found flaked kosher salt and other natural salts, I have not had the commercial table salt in my home. Not for years!

that is it.
Date Puti is a trademark just like Del Monte
They also sell vinegar etc.

pls look at the picture that sick sent me
That is the Datu Puti Pinoy spice I am referring to
Date Puti is a trade name, like Del Monte who sells, pineapple, fruit cocktail etc.

Salt

1 Like

this is not what I meant
Date Puti is a trademark like Del Monte
They sell many kind of food item
The Datu Puti Pinoy Spice ( 375 ml) from Walmart, picture posted by sick is it
That is the coconut vinegar with spices that I like
The picture you showed is one of their vinegars but it is not coconut vinegar and I do not believe there are spices in there. It is easily found in Asian Supermarket. It is the Pinoy Spice that became scarce bec of trade was in the Philippines

Thanks for the added info.

Well last night I was gifted a jar of Maille black truffle mustard, not the regular grocery type but a special crock (I’ll post a link). We decided to have it on burgers and I have to say it was lovely - just the right amount of mustard heat and a nice truffle (not truffle oil) taste. Yummy. I had never seen it before.

1 Like