Induction vs. gas, a US-based dilemma

Thank you. Very helpful.

1 Like

Exactly.

I guess the smart thing to do is to immediately buy extra circuit boards when you get a new appliance you really like. I do that when I find a pair of shoes that fit well. I buy an extra pair because I know I won’t be able to find the exact pair when I wear them out.

If you truly think that gas is what is going to make you happy, it is going to eat at you until you make the switch. That being said:

I have had induction for the last 6-7 years because our condo doesn’t allow gas of any sort. Previous to that, I had gas for 9 years at our last condo and electric coils for most of my life before that. The only thing I miss is having the control of a sweep style knob as my gas cook top had; sometimes you want something that is between settings to truly dial in a low simmer and my Samsung doesn’t do that. I compensate with more braises in the oven in those cases. I haven’t had any issues with the glass top scratching, but I’ve never been a huge pan slider. In terms of temp, my experience with induction has been that it is as responsive as when I have used gas. I can control the temperature well enough to make custardy soft scrambled eggs, for example. My cookware is either anodized aluminum (All Clad) or ECI (Lodge). YMMV.

2 Likes

Wait, you have a 20 year old induction range?

I think it would be unreasonable to assume that a manufacturer would continue supporting a model 20 years after the fact with OEM parts.

With most electronics, and mechanical things (like cars, bikes, etc.), parts for out-of-date models are generally supported by after market suppliers, not the OEM.

I haven’t checked but I doubt a manufacturer like Viking would have OEM parts for a gas range last manufactured and sold some 20 years ago (unless the same parts were used in the current models).

1 Like

Actually, the smart thing to do would be to find some sort of 3d party insurer that would insure your induction range beyond the OEM warranty period.

So that if something does break after the OEM warranty period, it’s on the 3d party insurer to make you whole – either to find (or manufacture) the needed parts, or buy you a new induction stove, or reimburse you the replacement value of your stove.

Not sure about you, but who would want to keep a circuit board (circuit boards) around for 2 decades?

#HoardingIsOverrated

1 Like

No, it is a Dual fuel. I’m thinking of replacing it with and induction.

Agreed, except when it comes to good hiking shoes.

I don’t think it’s so easy to anticipate which circuit boards you’ll need … and they are costly. It’d be almost like buying a second appliance to cannibalize. Shoes - well I do the same. I wear a rare size that’s increasingly hard to find so when I find it I buy it. Not fun.

I have three of them and buy the butane by the box. Haha

1 Like

I make sure to have at least 2 extra cans. Diring Covid, i even upped a little more

You’ll be my inspiration.

1 Like

During Covid, I accumulated a lot of “more, just in case.” They’d film an episode of Hoarders in my place, but they wouldn’t be able to get the camera in. :joy:. I’ve been busy downsizing my stash.

Any trouble with overheating? I looked at this after hearing about it here from @Meekah and it looks like it’d be a great camping companion, and while the overall reviews are sky-high (I think it was 95% combined 5- and 4-star), nearly all of the 1- and 2-star reviews were about it overheating, even melting the feet, or overheating and popping off the butane cannister at the magnetic collar connection.

1 Like

:rofl:

I tend to agree based on my personal experience with both - but I haven’t tried a really high end induction stovetop.
But I cook weekly on my fathers induction stovetop and I now find, that my ideal setup at home, if I had the space for it, would be 4 gas burners and 2 induction plates.

Induction is nice to use during the hot summer and if I need to cook with the kitchen door open (the wind can blow quite hard here in Denmark)

But when all comes to all I far prefer gas over induction - all other things being equal.

Not that I’ve noticed. Despite their claim of being safe indoors I only use them outside on the patio or deck. 99% of the time it’s used here with a wok.

1 Like

During Covid i have collected bottles of hydrogen peroxide, but never toilet paper :grinning:

I had a stash already. Made my neighbors happy. And paper towels. Honestly, when I first read about Covid in the news, I started laying in supplies, at least a month before it took off here. You couldn’t get hydrogen peroxide either (checks under sink - yep, and isopropyl alcohol too). Had tons of hand sanitizer. Even had some (expired) n95 masks left over from the 2009 virus. And of course, cat food and kitty litter. Human food? My laundry closet became a pantry. The worst thing I craved was salad, until deliveries started, for which I was grateful, being high risk. It certainly humbled my expectations about what a dinner should be, I was very lucky I could shelter in place, and I know that.

3 Likes

An induction plate is nice to have for certain things.

For me, those include searing salmon (or most fish) skin, scallops, and a portable induction for Chinese hotpot.

And that’s really it.

But even with salmon skin, I think a bunsen burner works just as well, as does my broiler.

2 Likes

Interesting! I got my Iwatani 35fw with wok cooking in mind as I had read reviews saying that it was decent for wok cooking.

Your point makes a lot of sense though - while it packs a lot of BTU those aren’t highly concentrated at the bottom of the wok.

I guess that’s why people have been modding it with the likes of WokMon to concentrate the flame:

FYI - in case you’re not familiar: https://www.wokmon.com/product/wokmon-set/

Anyone cooking with a wok, should not consider an induction setup.