Indian table rw? [NYC]

@vinouspleasure Think the menu is still on through next weekend if you can make it. You have all our favorites listed out!

(I was actually thinking about going back with friends who love Parsi food, but I may be maxed out on indian for a while)

1 Like

@ninkat itā€™s not supposed to have a sauce, rather it is slathered with a flavorful green chutney (like what youā€™d get as an accompaniment, using mint and cilantro but made thicker through the use of coconut).

The chutney steams into a coating like we had, I just wanted more of it (or a stronger version to flavor the fish better).

2 Likes

If you say so. I donā€™t want to get into any silly sali wars, but the ones in the picture appear not to have the slenderness, and therefore the potato chip-ey crunch, that every other sali Iā€™ve ever had has had. And Iā€™ve had a lot of sali at Parsi/Irani restaurants, Parsi homes, and Parsi clubs.

And yet.

1 Like

Lucky you werenā€™t at this dinner, as it obviously wouldā€™ve offended you terribly. Bullet, dodged!

1 Like

Iā€™ve had some responses to my original query, but none has addressed the food content of my question:

1. Were the ā€œpotato sticksā€ matchstick thin, and as crisp as potato chips?
  2. Was the ā€œkulfiā€ made with reduced milk?

This is a food site, and food questions deserve food answers.

Asked and answered.

Look familiar?

Alsoā€¦

I would say they were matchstick size. I now understand that this was iconic and not merely a random choice of garnish.
As for the kulfi, their regular kulfi is described as being made with evaporated (reduced) milk. Most likely the rest week kulfi is also.

1 Like

Thanks for the straight answers on both counts. Yes, sali is iconic. Thereā€™s even a recipe just for it (where itā€™s described as potato straws) in the British/Parsi cookbook I referred to above.