Indian Groceries South of the Raritan

I wrote back in October about the closing of the Patel grocery at Route 9 and Ernston Rd and said that there also a new Patel Brothers, not connected to the old one, on Old Road in Old Bridge, which runs “parallel” to Route 9, and Bhavani, in the same shopping center as Texas Roadhouse.

I was recently told that Bhavani is the old Patel store, moved, somewhat expanded, and under a new name.

There is also Ethnic Spice on Route 79 in Marlboro, just down the road from Asian Food Market. However, Ethnic Spice is even smaller than the old Patel’s used to be, and seems somewhat more expensive than either the new Patel’s or Bhavani. On the other hand, if you’re in that area and don’t want to have to drive ten miles to Bhavani, the difference would probably be worth it.

(And as an aisde, whatever happened to the Kohinoor line of pre-made Indian dishes in pouches? All I see now is Ashoka, Haldiram, MTR and Priya, but Kohinoor used to have the lowest amount of fat, which is important for people on diets.)

Bhavani moved into a large space on the other side of Rte 9 In the shopping center with the HD & Petco. It’s big, varied & nice.

What I described is their new location.