In search of the best pastrami sandwich in the Washington area

Clavel and 2Fifty did a collaboration last week. Not sure if it was at both locations or just in DC.

2 Likes

Brooklyn’s Deli has a mighty fine Pastrami though the rye it was on when I tasted it was not as appealing as your pic from 2Fifty.

1 Like

I’ve been meaning to get out to Brooklyn Deli. So many places to go and things to eat!

It’s hard to beat Manifest Bead. It’s well worth a trip.

In general the rye at Brooklyn Deli is exceptional, and I go there to buy just a loaf of rye. Not to get a sandwich. I don’t think they keep their meats steamed.

However, it is always possible to get a disappointing loaf.

2 Likes

I heard they use Saval meats at Deli City. They talk about the place sometimes on teh save The Deli community on facebook.

I can’t tell you what the present situation is at Deli City, but I believe they always used to make their own corned beef, but not the pastrami.

It’s still a magnificent sandwich, but I do think that a corned beef and pastrami combo is the best of both worlds.

Aside from Silver and sons and 2fifty, are there other bbq places in the area that offer pastrami. I know that ZZQ and Redemption down in Richmond do, and I want to get down there – as I want to get to so many places - to try it

ZZQ has pastrami only on Fridays. It is spectacularly good.

2 Likes

Redemption has it on Saturdays. 2fifty has it on Thursdays. Silver and Sons covers Wednesday and Sunday. We need someone for Monday and Tuesday.

I just heard about Ize’s out Rockville Pike. IS the pastrami any good? The bagels?

1 Like

Steve and I went to Deli City recently. I tried the pastrami and corned beef separately (1/2 a sandwich of each, while he gets them mixed throughout). The pastrami just too lean and not tender enough but they make their own corned beef and that was really good! If you are going there, just get the corned beef.

This was my first time ever being disappointed at Deli City. I have come to expect a fatty, meltingly tender sandwich. This was just too lean, I guess.

I was at Schwartz’s in Montreal last week, and the sandwich fully justified the fame. Similar to what I had come to expect at Deli City.

Let’s hope it was just an off day

The corned beef was good so I’ll just keep ordering that when I go…unless Steve clears the pastrami for foodie consumption. :slight_smile:

1 Like