In search of the best pastrami sandwich in the Washington area

Yeah, chutzpah is good enough…I agree. That includes the pastrami. They don’t make account but most of the kosher style delis including katz’ don’t make the road anymore. For matzo ball soup isn’t bad either. The potato connections aren’t very good I’m not sure why they feel the need to put Dairy in the. I just never get out to that part of Fairfax anymore. Also, the last time I was there and was around the Jewish holidays during the scary part of the pandemic and while they were wearing gloves, the guy that was slicing the meat was also answering the phone and opening the door with the same gloves that he was touching food with. That’s why I didn’t go back when I did live closer to it. Plus service has always been a little surly there.

I’m waiting till St Patrick’s Day to pick up some corned beef or Reuben at stachowski’s in Georgetown. They make it one day a year and it’s good. I may even try there pastrami again, which they do make all year round, because maybe I was unlucky the couple times I got some untrueable gristle in my mouth? That it’s happened to Steven too. At least they make their own.

Try the corned beef at Stachowski’s. It is only made on St Patrick’s Day.

Does deli City have seating?

Yes, Deli City has seating. They are open only Mon-Fri for breakfast and lunch. Again, my favorite is to order a combo corned beef and pastrami. Not listed on a menu anywhere, just ask.

Another winner! Pastrami is available as a monthly (or maybe more frequent) special at 2fifty in Riverdale Park. It’s brisket pastrami, and no one this side of Texas, and not many there, can cook a better brisket than 2fifty. I just got some. Details to follow

Just checked metro…Deli City is not workable for me…multiple buses and over an hour in transit. I was hoping maybe it was need a train.

Ah, here’s the pastrami from 2fifty –

I had them deconstruct the pastrami “Reuben”

Verdict: Great. Cost – $13. Huge bargain. A post is up on my blog for those who want more details. I’m headed up to read before bed

5 Likes

Pastrami looks very enticing. How would compare it to Silver and Sons?

Steve, The brining is less intense, but you just can’t beat what 2fifty does with a brisket this side of the Mississippi

I tried the pastrami from Silver and Sons as well as the lamb shoulder.

Holey Moley, the pastrami is rich and complex, an astounding parade of flavors. Eating it straight with no bread or sauce is the perfect way to eat this, but making a sandwich is fine too. A little goes a long way! This is sensational. Thanks, John, for the rec.

The lamb is excellent, for what it is. Since they don’t have pork, I think of it as a pork substitute. And I miss the porkiness. But this is a very rich rendition and makes for an excellent sandwich. It does need some sauce to add flavor. Fortunately, the two sauces I tried are excellent as well: the mustard and the sweet bbq sauce, which has some spiciness and complexity as well.

Overall, a great resource for the area.

4 Likes

Isn’t it good? I’m glad you liked it.

I’ve just reported on the pastrami at Stachowski’s

an also the braunschweiger

I really liked both meats. – good quality, well seasoned – and good quality bread and mustard. My main problem with Stachowski’s is that the sandwiches are just too big – too much meat. Fortunately, I wound up with an extra slice of bread for s gem reason, and ate some of the pastrami on that. It was better, My other problem was the bread and butter pickles on the braunschweiger. Dill slices or chips would be much, much better.

3 Likes

I have not been a fan of Stachowski’s, though there are folks I respect that are. I have had the pastrami sandwich twice and once just ordered the pastrami by the pound. Each time the pastrami has a ‘knot’ in it that makes half of it unchewable. Plus for such thick slices, it should be more tender. Finally, the flavor is a bit muted. I’ll stick to Deli City and Silver and Sons for my pastrami fix, though neither is terribly convenient.

1 Like

I like Stachowski’s a lot. Jamie, the owner can be very combative, however. Back in the late 90s and early 2000s, he owned a quite good restaurant on M Street, Restaurant Kolumbia, which was right by where my office was then. He had just spectacular flame wars with customers on the review sites (Yelp or Trip Advisor, I don’t remember).

I was just looking at a very favorable puff piece about Stachowski in the Washington Post in 2012, which described him as having “a difficult persona” and a “volatile temperament,” and a drive that is “perhaps totally over-the-top loopy.”"

I actually love the Yelp reviews where thin-skinned restaurant owners get into flame wars with any customer who is even slightly critical. I remember a restaurant in Titusville, Florida that was quite good, but that had terrible Yelp ratings because the owner engaged in truly nasty hand-to-hand combat with any local who dared to leave anything less than a glowing review. Fun stuff.

John Tanner and I ran into a similar character out at Odd Barbecue last week. I put up a review on Yelp that was good (4 stars) but was critical of his refusing to talk with John (which was embarrassing to me). He responded with this: “It’s a shame you chose to share this publicly, it seems your intention is to wound us in some way for causing your embarrassment.”

He has other customer responses that are even more aggressive:

Kelly W (6/21/2021) - “Please do us and everyone in the industry a favor, learn how to cook, stay home and keep your crappy opinions to yourself.”

Regina D (8/4/2021) - “Haters gonna hate… This user was clearly flustered that someone in the service industry wasn’t kissing their bottoms and couldn’t handle processing their own payments.”

Kin K (7/30/21) - “These kind of ‘reviews’, ones in which a business owner has no chance to make it right, are not helpful to an already battered industry and are very telling of the type of person that writes them. There are people behind the food you so proudly insult, and we have sacrificed so much of our time, energy and health to make the best possible product for our customers. Please reconsider how you interact with the businesses you visit, you may find that kindness, honesty and sincerity will get you better results.”

Fun stuff, as I said.

1 Like

Yep, there’s a gal over in Lewes DE who goes nuclear on bad reviews. A couple others around the country that I have seen too.

A pickle bar? Be still my beating heart!!! Too bad I live thousands of miles away… :cucumber: :cucumber: :cucumber: :cucumber:

2 Likes

A pickle bar is proof of a benevolent Providence

3 Likes

A legendary sandwich shop in Providence (on Benefit Street, not Benevolent Street, sadly) called Geoff’s had a pickle barrel right in the middle of the shop with whole half sours – as many as you wanted.

3 Likes

@BobfromRIinVA I remember Geoff’s!

1 Like

They might still have a location on Thayer St or nearby but apparently it’s not nearly the same. My go-tos were the “Susan Farmer” and the “The Juggs.”

1 Like