In honor of the king - Elvis Presley

As you’re doing Beale Street, check out if a guy called Memphis Jones is playing anywhere. We saw him at B B Kings Blues Club which is right at the city centre end of Beale. He does a varied set all of which has a Memphis connection (with some songs the link is very tenuous). The house band is also really good - even if, like us, the Blues is not a particularly favoured style. But, hey, this holiday was a music trip where, over the course of the trip, we listened to country (Nashville), rock & blues (Memphis), jazz (New Orleans) and cajun (Lafayette)

By the by, the food at the Club isnt as bad as you might anticipate - southern classics like fried chicken and catfish. In the same building (up a fire escape above the Club) is one of the city’s best restaurants - Itta Bena. FWIW, the third dinner we had was at Central BBQ - really good pork. And we had a lunch at the Majestic Grill which was worth going to if only for the sharing dessert - six shot glasses filled with different sweets - tiramisu, key lime pie, chocolate mousse, carrot cake, lemon cheesecake and a strawberry shortcake

2 Likes

Elvis died a year before I moved to Memphis for Optometry school. Got to tour the grounds of Graceland. Back then you could not go into the house. I told my wife she could bury me in the back yard just like Elvis and our pet bird

2 Likes