I'm equally fascinated by this and disgusted at the same time.....................

PA has rapidly moved in to the 21st century. Used to be you could only buy wine and liquor from a state store–and you couldn’t help yourself. You had to go into the store knowing what you wanted (preferably with the stock # from its catalog) and the clerk would go into the back and retrieve it for you. If it was out of stock you were SOL. No mixers or accessories allowed. Beer by the case/keg was obtained through a beer distributor (nothing less than a case allowed.) Six packs and quarts were only available through bars or a limited number of “package” stores–usually delis with a beer license. Only those 6-packs/quarts were allowed on Sunday.

Then in the late 80’s or early 90’s they changed their stores to allow consumers to scan the shelves and pick out their wine or liquor themselves. In the late 90s they allowed some stores to open on Sundays. Then beer in grocery stores (separate checkout to scan ID). Then even wine (no liquor). Now we all get to buy alcohol on Sundays! And distributors can sell 6- or 12-packs. The State Store has become “Fine Wine and Spirits” and offers mixers, accessories and chilled wine (though not ice).

If you want a case of beer and a bottle of vodka, it’s still a two-stop trip.

1 Like

Interesting! I remember some rules when I’ve lived other places, but there don’t seem to be many rules here. I was asked to do a survey pertaining to my county, asking whether I’d be for or against some of rules implied above, but it also asked about vaping stuff, fruit flavored beers, tobacco, “hard cider”, etc.

I can remember being shocked when CT & RI started selling hard liquor on Sunday several years ago.

Here in Texas most small towns have voted in beer and wine for tax purposes. People have long blamed the Southern Baptists for no alcohol. But even they might not be able to hold off sales of liquor on Sunday. I figure it’s just a matter of time.

And remember the Blue Laws that have gone by the wayside. The times they are a changing.

1 Like

We have lots of Louisiana ex-pats from the oil and gas industry plus Katrina here in Houston and they’re shocked to find out you can’t buy liquor on Sunday.

I miss the old blue laws, we both worked retail and the stores were closed on Sunday so after 30 minutes of frantic cleaning at the house it was Beach Day, pretty much every Sunday.

1 Like