Il Nido, Marlboro, NJ

We had dinner at Il Nido this week on Tuesday (July 26th). We learned from owner Sandy that they have a new chef. She mentioned he formerly worked at Jocky Hollow Restaurant & Bar, in Morristown.

We both ordered the same first course and main, both of which are new to the menu via this chef.
First Course: Jersey Girl Burrata with Heirloom Tomatoes, Grilled Peaches & Brioche
Main Course: Scallops with Heirloom Corn, Maitake & Neonata

Both plates screamed “Summer”! Each plate had a thoughtful combination of elements with exciting flavors which worked extremely well together making for seriously delicious eating. If these are an indication of what this chef can create, the kitchen is in extremely capable hands.

The pastry chef continues to excel at creating new and wonderful desserts. We chose these:
Orange Semifreddo: Orange Curd, Tuile, Edible Flowers & Finger Lime
Lemon Meringue Tart: Lemon Curd, Toasted Meringue, Basil, Honeycomb Brittle & Chamomile Gelato
We were gifted a scoop of gelato: Mascarpone with Amareno Cherries.

Mr. R. was keeping it light, so he did not order wine. He drank sparkling water. I had sparkling lemonade.

Can’t wait to see what the new chef has in store going forward.

There is a photo album of this meal on my Flickr. But for some reason, when I put in the link, it doesn’t work.

P.S. I would upload the photos from my iPhone but don’t know how. If someone is willing to give me instructions, private message me.

6 Likes

Roz inspired us to dine at Il Nido last night. Food was very good; portions are on the smaller side. (I’m used to Drew’s)

btw a note at the top of the menu says something to the effect of ‘we now offer bar service but you may bring your own wine until September 1, 2022.’ So all you byob’s have a month left!

2 Likes

I figured out how to link to my Il NIdo photo set on Flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/11863391@N03/albums/72177720300894819

1 Like

Lovely!!

Thanks!

We enjoyed an outstanding dinner with some friends at Il Nido Sunday night. It was our first time there since last December, (before owner Joseph passed away). Our favorite server David took good care of us. We wanted to try and make it one last time before they took away the BYO option.
We enjoyed roasted branzino; a humongous 30 oz. Berkshire pork chop; excellent grilled blue prawns with Calabrian chili, blossom honey, and lime sauce; Jersey Girl burrata with grilled peaches and Heirloom tomatoes; swordfish; mushroom lasagna; Maine lobster crostini; a cheese plate, and a delectable chocolate dessert. It all went great with a few excellent wines. Including a gratuitous picture of our new baby Matisse.

13 Likes

love the pup

Thank you!

Congratulations on the meal and Matisse!! Just out of curiosity what did they charge for that pork chop? That is gianormous!!!

2 Likes

Thank you!
Believe it or not that humongous 30 oz. Berkshire pork chop was only $47.00, which is cheap for Il Nido. It actually seems like some of their prices have gone down since last year, (mainly their seafood entrees).

2 Likes

We had a late dinner yesterday at Il Nido. I made the reservation via Open Table, requesting a table outdoors. A receptionist called me to say they’d received my reservation, and they’d be happy to set up a table for us in one of the tents. When we arrived at 8:30 p.m., it was set and ready. The weather couldn’t have been more perfect for al fresco dining. We were the only ones out there, and since it was late, it was very quiet, i.e., no cars traversing the parking lot.

We started by sharing the grilled blue prawns. Large, with head on, they were juicy. The light calabrian chili sauce had just a hint of spice.

For mains, Mr. R. had the lasagna. Not your ordinary/usual lasagna, it was prepared with mushrooms and fontina cheese. I would describe is as a lasagna for adults. I chose the branzino. I asked if the chef would be willing to replace the accompaniments listed on the menu with those listed for the swordfish. He said no problem. The filet was perfectly prepared with skin that was crispy, crispy, crispy! The fregola, eggplant, fennel & preserved tomatoes made a delicious melange.

For dessert, Mr. R. had three scoops of gelato. I had the “Cookies & Cream.” For those who love chocolate, this is perfection.

Drinks: I had sparkling lemonade imported from Tuscany. Mr. R. had two glasses of Pino Noir from the list, one with the prawns; the other with the lasagna. He did check with sommelier Daniel to be sure the Pino was appropriate with the lasagna.

Our server Adonai, who has taken care of us previously, was as always pleasant, accommodating, and attentive. We had a lovely chat with owner Sandy and her son Michael. She said that after Sept. 1st, there will be no BYO. Period. (No BYO even with corkage.)

It continues to be a joy having Il NIdo five minutes from our house.

Photo set on my Flickr here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/11863391@N03/albums/72177720301426163

4 Likes

Three weeks ago, Il Nido started serving lunch which they had never done before: Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays between noon and 2 p.m.

We are still not doing any indoor restaurant dining. But last Thursday, March 15th, when Mother Nature gifted us with a day of summer-like weather, we took advantage and had lunch outdoors on Il Nido’s veranda. The lunch menu is much shorter than the dinner menu: 6 appetizers and 6 main courses. Nothing about dessert.

To start, we shared the Gnocchi. For our mains, I had the red snapper, Mr. R. had the flank steak, and we ordered a side of broccoli rabe. He had a glass of Cabernet with the steak. No surprise that everything was perfectly prepared and seriously delicious.

As for dessert, for now, there are only chocolate chip cookies and gelato, so we had both. Our server James told us that there are plans to increase the dessert options.

They are doing take-out for lunch. Therefore, we decided to take home an order of rigatoni to have that evening.

I don’t foresee having lunch outdoors again at Il Nido for quite a while. Until then, I’ll be putting the lunch menu on our regular take-out rotation.

You can read full details of this meal along with photos on my blogpost:
Lunch at Il Nido: First 2024 al Fresco Restaurant Dining…in March! | The Wizard of Roz (wordpress.com)

5 Likes

This price point seems… Steep…

1 Like

:flushed::flushed::flushed:

1 Like

Obscene.

1 Like

I spent less than that at Le Bernadin last week per person including drinks. Granted, it was lunch, but still.

2 Likes

I don’t feel the price is “steep” when you consider that it includes the tasting menu, the wines from one of Napa Valley’s finest producers, tax (6.6%), and tip (20% which is what it should be at a restaurant of Il Nido’s high calibre).

That includes wine? I stand corrected. Didn’t see that part.

1 Like

I also didn’t see it includes wine. Where does it say that?

1 Like

I had to blow it up 2x but in script under each course, there is a different wine listed.