If you order a Bombay Saphire Martini, up with an olive, what do expect to get?

Yes, but it was on the menu that way. A “Fiddy-Fiddy Martini” equal parts gin and sweet vermouth with Angostura Bitters. Perhaps a tribute to the old school gin cocktails like the Martinez which was described in a classic book as “Like a Manhattan but with gin.”

If I ordered a martini and was given cold gin with no vermouth, without being asked, I would not pay for that drink, any more than if I ordered a Manhattan and was given a glass of whiskey.

2 Likes

The best thing about the Commander’s martini is that it’s at Commander’s. Isn’t that the point if you’re not at Galatoire’s for Friday lunch and a Sazerac?

1 Like

Hey Fred, good to see ya!

I wouldn’t know . . . I always do Friday lunch at Galatoire’s. I go to Commander’s Palace on Tuesdays . . . .

1 Like

We’re not in training (actually, never have we been) for Three Martini Tuesday lunch, nor have we ever lunched at Commander’s on Friday as much as we’d like to.

1 Like

I’ve never had a three Martini lunch . . . usually, it’s just one (or none), and a glass of wine.

Hah. Bartender (if they had one) was not a pro.

I ordered a Manhattan in one of my very favorite restaurants and it had SO much bitters it was undrinkable. The wait person then made me a very good vodka gimlet.

I have an ongoing problem with Sidecars. If bartenders even know what they are, they don’t get the ratio correct.

Last evening I had the best Sidecar I’ve ever had. Although it lacked the sugar rim (it just occurred to me, I should have told him, he would have welcomed the advice), it was perfect as to the mixological makeup. Is the world famous mixologist here? Did he make it over from Chowhound? I wonder if he knows MIX in White Plains is awful.

Where did you have the Sidecar? What made it so excellent?

Where was the over bittered Manhattan?

Yes, as I mentioned in another post, Mix went downhill.

Gaia, in Greenwich. I found the blend to be just right. As I noted, it didn’t have the sugar rim, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

The Manhattan was at one of my favorite restaurants, Francesco’s.