If you can’t beat them, eat them …

It’s funny. I have no problem eating the bugs, but hand me cassava bread and I’ll pretend to like it, but I sure don’t. Still, when I was at the Amazon headwaters, and cruising toward the great river, we found coconut grubs, and I really liked them. My tour guide showed me his village and the nice folks he grew up with. Piranha was the most pleasant surprise for me. Pretty damn good. Plenty of teeth in those suckers, but never found a human one. Made me happy.

1 Like

Cassava was a treat when I used to walk home from high school with a few buddies. We used to stop at a hole-in-the-wall. The cassava was boiled, then fried, and was served with a horrible-looking sauce that tasted great. Loved the stuff!

1 Like

Ew!
I am now concerned about contents of the ‘fried’ water from Fukushima entering the pacific seafood population.

1 Like

Same problem here in Portugal where the invasive Blue Crab is rapidly replacing the local ones, but they taste just as good!

You’re not alone. But you may be overreacting.

2 Likes

I much prefer this bammy to thid cassava bread.

Bammy

Cassava bread
shopping

3 Likes

Maybe if the folks where I was had fried it. I know they had cooking oil, but out in the cuenca, it’s probably very valuable, the oil. Everything else I ate was dang good, Just weirded out by the cassava bread.

Haha, I love that locally for you it’s invasive, but our blue crab locally is also threatened by ocean temp changes and invasive green crab. Blue crab is so tasty, I would gladly take any excess that you have there.

1 Like

And at least one can eat the blue crabs! The green crabs really only are good for making stock. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

1 Like

And the stock is tasty enough, but they are too small and hard to eat otherwise.

2 Likes

Man, I really loved both monkfish and Chilean Seabass, as well as shark, especially Chilean Seabass. The first two got nearly fished out, and the sharks’ PR people began a campaign that made me ashamed to eat shark. Probably rightfully so. I missed out on the Blackened Redfish thing, too far from Paul Prudhomme’s kingdom, and before I got serious about food.

What are the peelers like? If you are eating almost the whole crab, maybe it would work?
I envision silver dollar sized peelers served on a dinner roll instead of a hamburger patty sized bread.

Mostly for Currying! :wink:

I had to look up what peelers meant; I wasn’t even aware of that term for crabs. :sweat_smile: I just always called them soft-shell crabs.

I’ve never seen soft shell green crabs. In fact I don’t really see the green crabs in stores at all. One of our local seafood wholesalers went into the online game during the pandemic, and it’s been a hit so they’ve continued to run this for home deliveries. The shell is similar in hardness as a regular crab to the blue crab, but each crab is maybe half the size of a regular blue crab - quite small.

1 Like

“Peelers” are Hard Shell Blue Crabs that are showing signs of molting this is before they actually molt. They are usually held till they shed their hard Shell and then they are considered “Soft Shells”(but not for long!)

1 Like

Interesting - I don’t think I’ve ever come across this before. Thank you!

1 Like

Sure. I have never heard the term used anywhere except in Chesapeake Bay Area. But that is only area that I have been Crabbing so…

1 Like

I did not mean to be obscure, I used to crab a bit, just chicken necking (for bait) and then lived for a while in Deale MD and the neighbors used to put peelers into a tank and then harvest them whenever they wanted a softshell crab. I always thought a peeler was a softshell so I learned something today. But it makes me wonder even more if a green crab could be eaten as a softshell? Wait til they peel and then do the little cut with the scissors to remove the gills, mouth and tail and then coat them in the batter of your choice and deep fat fry them. I ate the softshell crabs and did not even know that they had recently been “promoted” from peelers to softshell crabs.
LOL!
I used to walk my dog every morning and I would see an old waterman driving his golf cart to his crab tank to grab a peeler for breakfast most mornings. That was his idea of his perfect morning. He and his dog (another lab) going to the creek, looking at the weather and the boats then grabbing a crab and going home for breakfast. Makes me homesick for Deale.
Sorry for the off topic rambling post.
Rockhold creek.
The dock is my neighbors, after he quit maintaining it but still used the crab tank nearby.

8 Likes

(Gift link.)

2 Likes

Reminded me of this thread

and this site

1 Like