ideas, tips for beef stroganoff

Have you tried skirt steak? I like it much more than flank.

2 Likes

Skirt steak in tacos yes, in Stroganoff not yet.
Thanks Aubergine, I will have to try that.

oh that is a great idea!

I brown shallots and mushrooms in 50/50 butter and peanut oil, add my seasonings (I like smoked paprika and oregano), add Sherry (not to dry or too sweet, Amontillado), cook off the Sherry and add broth, slip thinly sliced meat in to poach MR, and add sour cream to finish and stop the cook. I know it is nontraditional, and I am missing the fond, but this assures soft meat no matter what cut. If it works for ramen…yes, it works with skirt, ribeye, sirloin, or round. A fatty Wagyu sirloin is probably my favorite.

3 Likes

this makes for a whole different kind of sauce. when using a cut that needs slow-braising to break down - which would be traditional stroganoff-- you get a rich texture from all that collagen as well as the lily-gilding of whatever sort of cream.

(am only pedanting for anyone not used to this kind of method.)

am happy you’ve found a method you like with a great result!!

1 Like

Very creative approach, Vecchiouomo.

Have you tried “velveting” the beef strips before adding to the mushroom sauce? A simple Chinese technique that ensures tender stir-fry. I use on chicken, veal, pork and beef whenever they’re going into a sauce, like Marsala or Stroganoff.

3 Likes

Actually, I’ve never made it with skirt steak, I just think it might work better than flank.

I would be game to give it a go.
I use to make beef stew and found that I much prefer to cut up a pork loin and make that instead.
You never know this could become our new favourite.

FWIW, Better Than Bouillon mushroom base makes a nice shroom broth.

4 Likes

Died Porcini or Boletus mushrooms rehyrsrayed in water creates some nice flavours for a quick mushroom broth.

1 Like

The quick sear approach I used is described by Natasha:

with variants described in comments below.

Natasha understands her stroganoff!

2 Likes

That reminds me. When I cook firm tofu I toss the cubes in cornstarch before they hit the hot oil in the wok. I think I am going to make a tofu stroganoff since the mushrooms are my favorite part anyway.

5 Likes

I have extra firm tofu in the fridge and was contemplating what to make for Supper.
Thanks, I may do the same.

1 Like

I use it (and BTB garlic) as a vegetarian hot pot base. Works fabulously.

1 Like

Back in my meat eating days I would use leftover roast beef (rump roast). Secret ingredient: Angostura bitters.

3 Likes

Thanks; much appreciated. I like BTB’s products in a pinch for chicken or beef, and routinely buy their veggie base because it turns out better than my own attempts. My grocer doesn’t carry the mushroom, but I just checked Amazon so I can get there.

Thanks again!

She says use garlic and she also says use a mix of heavy cream and sour cream, both of which I mentioned above. So it’s likely I’ve stolen those tips from her at some point. I do recognize her photo, so I know I’ve borrowed from at least some of her recipes.

1 Like

I usually make a super easy and light curry. Onion, carrot, bell pepper, squash, sweet potatoes, and whatever else sounds good. Cube and microwave to precook a little, add curry paste, a can of light coconut milk, a little brown sugar, and a splash of fish sauce. Serve with rice. Top with chopped peanuts, chutney, and piccalilli.

1 Like

There are non-fish Worchestershire’s out there. Annie’s is vegan.

1 Like