Ideas for where to eat in Úbeda Spain also Córdoba and Granada

We are headed to Spain for a few weeks March 1. Does anyone have a recommendation for Úbeda, Córdoba or Granada? We are booked for La Trainera and DStage in Madrid, also Rafa and Bibo. In Seville we have a few places picked out but the other three places looking for recommendations. Gracias!

For Cordoba: strongly recommend Noor, which along with its chef have garnered a lot of attention in Spain and somewhat outside of Spain. The concept is to explore the ingredients available and cooking approaches in different eras of Cordoba’s history (I think they are now up to early 16th century). Dishes have been creative, high quality execution, nice atmosphere and very good service.

For Granada: we always head to Bar FM which is a tapas bar with high quality seafood prepared simply rivaling some of the best in Andalucia and the nation. Has been hyped as a “temple of seafood” in Spain in the past 10 years but always delivers.

No recs on Ubeda. If you have a car, Baga in Jaen just 50km away is a great option.

Mil gracias. No car, though. Will check out both places.

Note that for Noor since it is somewhat last minute they may not show availability online. You may just want to call or emai them. Response time is pretty good.

I agree with Noor in Córdoba for Michelin dining. For casual his Bar de Paco Morales is first rate and in the center of the modern city. It’s always packed to the rafters with locals but you can usually find a seat at the bar, as I did, if you don’t reserve. Order the “tomate templado”.

For Granada, ditto to Bar FM, a pilgrimage site for lovers of seafood.

For Ubeda, one of my favorite Andalusian cities with stunning Renaissance architecture by Andrés de Vandelvira, try Antique on Calle Real. It gets a nod from Guía Repsol. Or just take the bus to Baeza, another beautiful but smaller Renaissance town, which you should definitely see, and dine at Vandelvira, another Repsol rec.

2 Likes

While I realize that it´s much too late for LakeForester´s trip, and the itinerary didn’t include Jaén,
I just want to add to this thread that arguably the most exciting dining experience in eastern Andalucía is now BAGÁ in Jaén.
It just won the number 4 spot on OAD’s “Best European Restaurants” list for 2023.

It’s become a pilgrimage spot for gastronomes, professional food critics and chefs from around Spain. It has been honored with 1 Michelin star in addition to 2 Repsol suns. Reservations essential far in advance, as it seats only 15 diners at the most in its 46 square meters. My Madrid chef friend raves about his meal here, as does José Andrés. The chef, Pedro Sánchez, trained under Martín Berasategui.
(Tasting menu only, priced at 96 euros).

A year has gone by so Lake Forester has likely returned home by now.
I’d love to read about his or her experiences.

And if anyone has been to the Jaen, Ubeda, Baeza area lately, please comment on your food choices.

Graciais, Maribel…this is looking like a strong possibility for me for the next Andalucia trip!!