I scream, you scream... [NJ]

Jeez. Does Mrs P have any sisters? :smile: That looks fantastic!

3 Likes

No, she is one of a kind😀

THIS is good news, imo! Big fan of Booskerdoo AND of coffee ice cream, so… :grin:

I tried the bacon bourbon chocolate last night at Nicholas creamery. Try this!

1 Like

So far I tried a double cup scoop at this place. The oreo cream and peanut butter. $4.50 I thougt was fair priced but their product I felt was just okay. Next time my son is in town I will give your rec a go.

Nothing is cheap these days! What does bacon not enhance? That is the question of the day lol.

I’ve been making ice cream since I was a kid. The process is, of course, simple. I’ve experimented with different mixes of cream and milk and I’ve come to a conclusion. Different people prefer different total fat content. To be fair, nobody liked the one time I used all heavy cream. I think that one turned out more like ice butter than ice cream. But in the mix range of 7g per serving to 16g per serving taste varies considerably. I love it at the high end myself.

Yeah, I said I thought the price was fair and about what other shops charge today. Bacon done right, too much ruins/overpowers, imo.

Not cheap but quality stuff. I’d try the small kid cup. It is some rich tasting ice cream and very flavorful. It’s kind of like a nice bourbon. You want to savor each bite/sip. Let us know what you think.

2 Likes

Went for a little ice cream tour around Jersey City. Overall, not super impressed with any of the ones I tried (and prices were astronomical!!)

Ample Hills Creamery
Popular NYC-based and Brooklyn loved Ample Hills Creamery has hurdled its way across the many moats to Jersey City.

The storefront is located a short walk from the Hudson River, offering a tempting love affair of waterfront views and ice cream.

Their claim to fame is their creative ice cream names and variety of flavor combinations, each filled with a variety of mix-ins. The ratio of mix-ins to actual ice cream seems to be 1:1.

The selections are overwhelming, where you feel like you’re only given the illusion of choice, as anything you choose will surely pack an overdose to your palette. It’s the ice cream equivalent of being a kid, given full reign on what to wear to school.

Selection: 4
Customer service: 4
Texture: 3
Flavor: 3
Overall: 3.5

Bucket & Bay Craft Gelato
Supply and demand has decided that Jersey City is an ice cream, gelato, sweets, and creamery town. Within the downtown city limits, there are plenty of options to choose from, no matter where you are located.

Ice cream and gelato has become a bit of a luxury, however, and with the competition comes high prices.

Bucket & Bay has an eclectic collection of flavors, with rotating specials. Their go-to offerings involve alcohol-infused gelato, like their popular black label vanilla.

Normally, when you receive gelato, you’re given a microscopic portion with a tiny spoon (Looking at you, Bent Spoon in Princeton). Here, the portions are actually quite large, and the spoon is hilariously tiny in comparison. The texture is very creamy, the ice cream itself is quite flavorful.

Selection: 3
Texture: 4
Flavor: 5
Overall: 4

Torico
Torico is certainly the most famous ice cream joint in Jersey City, garnering the longest lines, especially, as one would expect, on warm nights and weekends in the summertime.

The selections are endless, and you can easily spend far too long staring at the flavors on the board, so I advise you just go with your gut. Fan favorites include their diverse options such as avocado, ube, dulce de leche, sweet corn, etc.

All of their ice creams are hand-made, and thus have a particular crumbly, almost chewy-like texture. Occasionally, you’ll find an unfavorable ice chip. The flavors themselves lack intensity, are a little bit muted, but refreshing nonetheless, especially for their flavors that are only semi-sweet.

Selection: 5
Texture: 3
Flavor/Intensity: 3
Overall: 3.75

1 Like

Only been a couple times since they opened but the Booskerdoo Coffee crunch is fantastic

1 Like

MUST. Get. There. For. Thaaaaat!

Mrs. P made coffee ice cream with crunchy dark chocolate espresso chips and Medaglia D’Oro coffee :yum:

7 Likes

OMG. Also, OMG.

1 Like

Wowee!!

1 Like