I finally baked the perfect, crisp, big chocolate chip cookie

I know, I know. What really could be wrong with ANY chocolatre chip cookie. Nothing, really. But if I am going to make them (supposedly for my husband), then I really wanted to get the perfect for me, cookie.

I have read Jacques Torres recipe, and the whole long treatise that Kenji did on Serious Eats. I decided that now is the time to start taking my own notes, and seriously experiementing.

I started with the Nestle’s recipe, and slightly modified it. I added more granualted sugar (200 grams), and less dark brown sugar (100 grams). I did not use my trusty stand mixer, I mixed by hand. (My husband helped, because it is hard to mix!)

I used my big scoop, and baked them at 325 degrees. It took 24 minutes at that temp! When I removed them from the oven, I aprinkled them with Maldon sea salt. And then I left them on the hot cookie sheet, to further crisp up as they cooled.

I waited until they were cold, and yes! Cookie perfection is now mine. I have the rest of the batch hydrating in the fridge. I will cook another couple tomorrow night, and then I plan to scoop out the rest and freeze them for whenever my hubby needs a chocolate cookie fix. I cna’t believe it took me this long to figure out how to make the cookies I truly love!

3 Likes

Congrats! I always want to give a try, and for some reasons, the cookies are always on the waiting list.

Years ago, this article “best” chocolate chips cookies from now dysfunctioned blog chez Pim got me interested. Her recipe was based on NYT David Leite’s recipe.

Recipe: http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015819-chocolate-chip-cookies
Comment: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/09/dining/09chip.html

Do you bake on rimmed baking sheets?

Yes, and I lined it with parchment paper. We had a couple last night, and they were perfection again!

Good for you! Now would you please come up with the perfect, chewy, big ccc? :grin:

Well, I did not. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:Though they tasted okay. I like a puffy, cake like cookie…not these messes. Oh well.

My own experiments with CCC has lead me to bakers ammonia. Subbing that for baking soda in my usual recipe (my adaptation of the Toll House one) resulted in truly crispy cookies that stayed that way.

1 Like

Great to “see” you here :slight_smile:
Bakers ammonia is a new one to me, where do you find it?

I got mine through the King Arthur flour website. Supposedly, you can also get it from some pharmacies using the chemical name, which escapes me at the moment. But KAF also has a couple of recipies on their site although my feeling is that you can sub it for baking soda in recipes where you’d like a crispier result.

And actually, though it might be new to you, it’s a very old ingredient that was apparently used before baking soda! Also known as hartshorn, it was originally derived from the horn of the hart. It is what was used for smelling salts, and I’d advise NOT doing what I did when I got it – sticking my nose right in there and taking a big sniff. And any smell you might notice completely disappears when the cookies are baked.

Hi :slight_smile:
I’ts nice to see you here

I’m always trying cc recipes, never any failures that couldn’t be eaten tho.
Made the recipe from the ‘Flour’ book yesterday. Dif with this recipe was the addition of a small amount of finely chopped milk chocolate. If you didn’t know it would not be noticeable
Excellent cookies. I added nuts cuz I have to have them in ccc!