I don't like "X"

I had to look myself. Apparently cabbage, broccoli, pepper and wine are included so I am not sensitive to that compound.

I am, however, sensitive to aldehydes–the compound that makes cilantro taste like soap to folks like me.

ETA: Not I “had to look” to verify the response from @CCE I happened to search before seeing his post.

2 Likes

I’m one of the lucky few who overcame the cilantro aversion.

6 Likes

Hi Kim - note the “studybuff” article appears to be wrong - university and NIH studies I skimmed all seem to agree that this compound (phenylthiocarbamide) does not naturally occur in foods. Then there’s the real goof where studybuff calls PTC a protein, when actually it’s a tiny compound (compared to proteins) and contains no amino acids.

I saw that phrase with "foods like cabbage… " reposted in several places and should have called it out above, but I got sidetracked trying to source the error. It looks like a bad machine translation from Portuguese of a small study done in Brazil where they were trying to link PTC sensitivity, normal weight, obesity, and dislike of red wine… then the aggregator-type websites somehow picked up this obscure study’s translation and started repeating it as one source for their PTC-info pages.

Going to cilantro - I can just barely perceive that kind of soapy flavor (or maybe it’s a sensation of slipperiness for me). One of our 4 kids is extremely averse to cilantro. When she was younger I wasn’t very aware of the genetic link, and powderized some dried cilantro thinking she wouldn’t notice if she couldn’t see it. Didn’t work - she noticed it right away. She’s fine with plain parsley though, so I just sub that if she’s eating the meal.

3 Likes

In our house it was “sparrow’s guts”. We were classy like that.

3 Likes

I can taste it, for sure.

And love it.

That’s why I will literally crave broccoli if I don’t have it for a couple of days.

It’s an addiction, unfortunately.

European here, went to Rabbit Hill Inn once on holidays touring New England a decade or so ago! Wonderful experience.

2 Likes

We called it aspararadagassss (with requisite hissss) until my mom threatened the life of the next one who said it.

We still sneak it in on occasion just to annoy her.

3 Likes

Things I can’t stand

Green Bell Pepper-- I must’ve gotten violently sick from them at some point as a late teen. Prior to that me & my sis would eat them raw. Now diced very small as a flavoring agent tolerable. Ripe Yellow & Red peppers are ok.

Caraway Seed-- always turned off by the flavor.

Liver & Onions-- this is a texture one-- mom made it often & always smelled great but first bit was and is NOPE…and I’ve tried a few times over the years.

Lima Beans-- again a texture thing.

Green Beans-- can only tolerate the julienne style

Finally cause Thanksgiving is soon-- Canned Jellied Cranberry Sauce. Yuck from me, sis loves it.

I will be mannerly and at least have a forkful of anything I am offered if I am a guest (chased down hopefully with a big swig of wine). What I will order at a restaurant or prepare for myself is a different story. I’ll start with liver. The smell of it literally makes me gag. A cracker full of pâté will require me to hold my breath, swallow quickly, and reach for the wine. Otherwise, I think it’s texture rather than taste that gets to me. Raw bar?Sushi - I’m good to go. Offal, nope. Not so much. Not at all. But I’ve eaten fried squirrel. (Maybe it’s because I was a kid then).I don’t like the texture of meringue. I don’t like the texture of cream of wheat. Spices- I’m fine. Anything goes, except if it’s going to destroy my gut. I actually expect cilantro in some things. When I was a little kid, I was a very reluctant eater. I’d request a slice of raw onion (my “chaser”)at every meal. Drove my patents crazy when we went out to eat; they’d have to request it in restaurants :joy:. I still love onions - can’t wait for spring and Vidalia onion sandwiches. Oh, I don’t like sardines, but I love anchovies.

4 Likes

Regarding the OP and OQ - whole categories of dislike…
Me - something I apparently do not have in common with too many other foodies - I really dislike the fatty parts of fatty meats. Don’t like the fatty part of a steak. Will not eat pork belly. Burnt ends, smoked brisket, fatty pastrami, chicken skin (except when completely rendered) are all on my no list. Charcuterie with big old pieces of fat (prosciutto - I tear it off, cold sausage - I poke it out), also reject pile. Salami, mortadella (don’t know why), bacon, cooked sausage are all ok. I just don’t like the taste or texture. Never have.

My husband - most fresh cheeses. Ricotta, cream cheese, cottage cheese, mascarpone. He avoids like the plague. Who knows why? I think he has an association with those things and cream, and with cream and french food, and with french food and heart attacks. It isn’t true any longer, and he is totally fine with ice cream and whipped cream on desserts (preferably homemade than reddi-whip), so I don’t know what his deal is. Cheddar, and anything resembling it in taste or texture, because he was violently ill as a child from it.

My dad. Pretty much all veg. Except the ones that were always in a Russian diet like onions, tomatoes, cukes. Beets. But only in a prepared salad or borscht. He is just a junk food junkie, and used to eat either meat and potatoes (bread) or sugar and processed food. When my mom (immigrants) finally understood this had health implications, she tried to put him right. But it’s been difficult. His last meal to this day would still be a baguette and a coke.

My FIL. All Mexican food. I have no idea. He is stubborn as well as passive aggressive. He gets an idea in his head, and then come hell or high water, you can’t convince him otherwise. He is sure he hates this cuisine. I figure he’s had it once or twice in a bad Tex-Mex place, and thinks he knows what Mexican truly is. That said, he’s come around on a lot of other little stubborn food dislikes, especially since he is widowed and either he is eating more of his own cooking or mine.

1 Like

My trip to VT and Rabbit Hill was in 1990, so… a LONG while ago. We also visited Cabot creamery and B&J’s (before it had been sold to Unilever).

Also at Rabbit Hill Inn, I found a copy of the (at the time) rare book Who Censored Roger Rabbit, which the movie is based on. It is decidedly darker than the film. And based on newspaper comic strip characters, as opposed to animated cartoons.

1 Like

I always liked broccoli because it looked like little trees :joy: it tastes good to me, too.

My dad always managed to do the steaks rare or medium-rare. Yay! Don’t know why or how, but that’s what we got. I always wanted to see at least pink on the inside. Made my Southern relatives crazy when we visited. Lol.

3 Likes

I never knew about this either!

An au pair taught our grand-kids to enjoy “trees”. One actually became a broccoli fanatic. His favorite food. Once on an overnight after a large portion at dinner, I asked what he wanted for breakfast. His siblings would have answered pancakes, crepes, bacon, hot chocolate. He answered, “Do you have any more broccoli?”

5 Likes

That’s my kind of eater!

2 Likes

Bananas, which I put down to an ancient childhood trauma.

(One of my greatest sacrifices as a parent was smushing up and feeding bananas to my children. Especially since one of them was a spitter upper. :face_vomiting:)

2 Likes

That’s okay- more for me

Late to this party - such an interesting read!
Hazelnuts - I may be the only person on the planet who dislikes 'em. No idea why.

3 Likes

I find that they can very often be bitter tasting or are perhaps more prone to rancidness? When they are 'fresh" they are great (think Nutella or Ferrero Rocher - unless you don’t like those either), but when they aren’t good they’re bad.

1 Like