I don't like "X"

Roasting should have been Toasting, in case anyone was wondering.

5 Likes

I don’t eat butter (with very few exceptions)

I don’t eat cheese unless it’s on pizza, and then only sparingly.

I don’t eat whipped cream

2 Likes

I don’t like liver, but love paté
No cheese, unless melted. But even then, not with meat, although it’s OK with ham or salami on a pizza or in a quiche.
Yes, it’s weird. I know.
Some combinations turn me off. I’ve had sauerkraut once with raisins and naartjie in it. That’s a no no.
While seperately, I’ll eat them. In general, I don’t like fruit in my dinner. I’ll eat them as desert though.

NB: naartjie is that easy peel thing that looks like an orange but smaller. Probably tangerine?

Oh, and mayonaise is not nice. Also not on French fries or in coleslaw

1 Like

The ones who drive me completely around the bend are the ones who not only are extremely picky, but extremely vocal about it.

I will ask questions about dairy, but I mostly focus on what I can eat rather than what I can’t. In two weeks in Tuscany this summer I had zero issues finding wonderful things to eat.

One of my fellow travelers was vegetarian, Jewish (yes it was mentioned at every meal) and incredibly picky. Asking questions wasn’t enough…it was also necessary to whinge about any errant fleck of anything deemed unpleasant, and to moan about the smell of the grilled meats that others were enjoying. An incredibly unpleasant dining companion.

1 Like

Yes, it took me a second, but I made the connection :rofl: Roasting them would have been uncomfortable, toasting them would just be tipsy fun.

1 Like

Now that’s one of my biggest food-related pet peeves. I don’t care what others at my table eat, but I don’t want to hear criticism\complaint of what other diners or I am eating.

5 Likes

I did finally speak up and mentioned Chowhound and how the unbreakable rule was Never yuck someone’s yum.

7 Likes

The French version of this is : “Si tu n’aimes pas ça, n’en dégoûte pas les autres” which roughly translates as “If you don’t like this, dont put the others off”

6 Likes

Have you given up on a good steak properly cooked? Maybe medium rare, grilled indoors? I understand your aversion to your dad’s rendition.

IMHO, the American idolized “grilling dad” scenario as often as not produces overcooked and overly smoky shoe leather.

1 Like

My dad was never a grill guy. My mother was not a great cook. Being the Midwest burbs, we had a built in gas grill in the yard (came with the house).

My mother, in an effort to be frugal, would get skirt steaks. Skirt stakes CAN be delicious if cooked carefully,

Mom just threw them on the grate, flat, leading to tough, grey stringy meat the texture of rawhide.

One day grandma decided to make filet mignon and I realized red meat was, well, RED. That, of course, led to me wanting that cut any time we went to a restaurant.

I was not an easy child to raise.

6 Likes

Words to live by :slight_smile:

So with you on the fruit in savory dishes. I do have a couple of exceptions, bc as I said sometimes - whether out of habit/nostalgia, certain combinations ‘make sense.’ So, while I would prefer not to have peaches in my curry (a late friend used to make that), I can abide pomegranate arils in my fennel salad, bc there’s also blue cheese & a very tangy mustard dressing involved. There’s also a salad my mom used to make with Belgian endive & canned (!) tangerines in a creamy dill dressing. For some reason, those combos work for me.

Sauerkraut with raisins? Fuck no. They ruin everything they touch :wink:

And I LOVE mayo in more foods I can count, but specifically with fries, having grown up near the Dutch/Belgian border :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Pretty much. TBH I am not even a fan of steak house burgers. Too thick, sometimes dry outside, and underdone in the middle (just not a fan of medium-rare anything).

I grew up in a family with a lot of food fears. My father didn’t eat meat on the bone, cheese (so no pizza), and most other foods. He ate his steaks well done with ketchup and omelets were thin and flat.

Even when he went out with friends, if they ordered seafood at a restaurant, he would prop up the menu in between therm so he couldn’t see the other person eating it.

To this day, my eldest brother says , not entirely joking, that he doesn’t eat vegetables with more than one syllable.

My older brother eats salads with no dressing. Refuses many things we all take for granted as being ‘safe.’ I didn’t have mayo until I got to college.

Now I eat everything. It took me a long time to overcome the conditioning.

9 Likes

I’m sorry, that’s gotta be rough. Our childhoods and family situations continue to have a hold on us throughout our lives.

Glad you can enjoy all the things now :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I love okra

2 Likes

People like that are like having a rock in your shoe

1 Like

Technically, once they’re canned they’re not really “green peas”, more like brown.

Most things I will eat. Some things I thought I wasn’t keen on as a kid (although, I ate everything, because it was expected. My sister was the picky one. That got ugly some nights, on both sides.) turned out to be I just didn’t like how it was prepared and have found other ways that are more to my taste now (mom - you will never read this, but why did you steam yellow squash and zucchini when we had a perfectly functional grill, broiler, and oven for roasting?). I thought I didn’t like okra, but then I had grilled baby ones. Delightful. I will eat cactus paddles if offered, but probably won’t go out of my way to make them. I will eat most offal, but usually that’s an eating out meal because BF isn’t into them.

When an adult has a particular, for lack of a better word, quirk, like food aversions, there may be any number of reasons for it. I just live and let live at this point. They’re the ones that have to deal with it, as long as it doesn’t lead to an unpleasant experience socializing with them.

6 Likes

EW_This

2 Likes