I don't like "X"

@iluvcookies, @Miss_belle

So you do not luv fresh salsa (huge bummer)?

Do all onions cause problems? Have you tried rinsing them after cutting/dicing/chopping them?

1 Like

There’s magic in the onion/gp/mushroom combo on pizza. Can’t explain it but I know it exists. Take away the green pepper and a supreme is just a meat pizza with mushrooms getting in the way.

1 Like

I get pico de gallo on the side when eating out and give it to my husband… I make quac with no onion. I make as few things I can think of with raw onion. I soak chopped raw onion in vinegar to get rid of the bite/taste for a Mexican shrimp cocktail. People who love raw onion will never understand the aversion some of us have for it.

1 Like

Okay, ipse- share. We all have, now tell us. This is an interesting thread, don’t hold back. We won’t judge, most likely :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I kinda like raw onions, but I like your treatment of them

1 Like

When I make homemade pizza my girlfriend always asks for mushrooms, onions and black olives.
The other night she asked if I could make a quiche with just mushrooms, black olives and onions. My answer… sure, why not. I can’t think of a reason why this wouldn’t turn out good, so my next quiche will be a mushroom, onion and black olive quiche.

2 Likes

TMI- I had a colonoscopy yesterday. It involved a fast the day before, my appointment was at 11 the next day, but I waited and waited and waited, and long story short didn’t get out of there until almost 4 o’clock. I went to Jersey Mike’s and got an enormous chipotle cheese steak. I ate half immediately and the rest several hours later. Gods I was hungry. There were bell peppers on the sandwich but I was so starved they ALMOST tasted good.

5 Likes

The only boiled vegetables I like are stewed green beans (with bacon and onions) because its a family thing on the holidays.

And once or twice a year Ill make a batch of okra stewed with tomatoes. I just like it.

I will eat garden peas right out of the garden (to the point my ex asked me if my peas bore that year…I’d eaten them all right off the vines). I eilm also eat Le Soeur tinned peas cold right out of the tin (my trashy delight)

I was an adult before Id ever had beets or Brussels Sprouts that were properly prepared. Both were Eureka moments of oh that’s what they’re supposed to taste like! Roasted is my preference for both.

4 Likes

Sorry, no. That doesn’t prove it.

Just kidding!

1 Like

Awww! My husband and I of 30 plus years still do this from time to time. If I’m going to make pancakes :thinking: he has to try something too.

1 Like

I have two friends who don’t like vegetables either. It’s painful to eat with them in some ways, because it’s often the 3 of us (from the same circle) who dine together. I’ll order veggies and sides, but they just stare at them, so I’m usually stuck with polishing off all the vegetables. We often like to order a lot of food and share. I’ll have my little one or two dishes with vegetables.

I don’t like fudge. Reminds me of eating sweet tar. I’m not a big fan of chocolate to begin with but fudge’s gooey texture makes it more sweet. With that, no fudgie brownies, no fudgie cakes, and anything else fudge like. Chocolate truffles are blech too.

Real truffles can go away too. I don’t need foot funk in my food.

2 Likes

So interesting. I am currently trying to get my ass in gear to plant my sugar snaps, as fresh off the plant in the spring (okay within 24 hours) are the only way I’m interested in eating them . I suppose I could try them frozen, but never have, and would probably never try them canned.

1 Like

I know of folks like you. I don’t understand them, but I accept they exist. More for me, I guess.

You say foot funk. I say “peppery, sinus clearing earthiness”. I assume Époisses is right out for you as well. I occasionally get some if we’re in a particularly good cheese shop and it’s on offer. My partner makes me triple bag it when I get home, lest it infect the entire fridge. I have 1 week to finish it. Preferably not while she’s home. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And I love green peas. :laughing:

4 Likes

I suspect part of my early (and still extant) vegephobia is because my mother was, largely, an adequate-but-uninterested cook. She made dinner because that’s what women did, but I suspect she’d rather have been doing a number of other things. HER mother could REALLY cook (for a certain level of 50’s-60’s Jewish housewife) and I suspect she simply never thought she could compete. So vegetables tended to be that sort of frozen BirdsEye medley or other basic sort of “boiled broccoli with a cube of butter” or canned green beans, the exact sort of things a ‘picky eater’ kid would be instantly repelled by.

3 Likes

If I’m being honest, I recall eating frozen veg growing up in Queens in the sixties and seventies, especially peas and carrots, but I hadn’t thought about it! Green beans and broccoli too! But I don’t think we ever had canned.

Unfortunately there’s almost nothing ‘normal’ that I won’t eat. I recently had a post on my Facebook feed that listed maybe 80 things asking how many you wouldn’t eat - there were none.

However, When I used to travel to Asia on business (maybe 3 times a year) I did sometimes wind up eating VERY locally. One time we shared a New Years dinner with 100+ factory workers in a suburb of Taipei. At least then Asian cultures used just about 100% of animals, and I remember a soup containing fish guts, bones, eyeballs, etc… I opted out of that. The alternative was roasting each worker for the holiday. However…… they were mostly young women and they were drinking orange soda while I was drinking beer. It was a very long night.

5 Likes

I love the tomatoes, feta, cucumber, red onion, olives more. That is all :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I can take a few spoonfuls of fresh salsa (soooo delicious, and I think the acid in the tomatoes tempers the onion a bit), but I would never have a huge slice of raw onion on a burger or in a salad. The indigestion is not worth it. And when in a restaurant, you never know how long ago the onion was sliced. Best for me to avoid.
I generally avoid using raw onion/garlic at home, so I haven’t tried your methods. If I’m making pesto I toast the garlic a bit first.

2 Likes

I’m with you on the mayo! I feel like it just greases up any sandwich. Tuna and egg salads almost always have too much of it. Please don’t get me started about mayo on a burger…
It’s not the texture–I like sour cream, crema, cream cheese just fine. I don’t know what it is really. Food just tastes better to me without it.

1 Like