Hungry Onion Recipe Collection

That’s got to be a gotcha or april fool’s day post…

Nope, her pineapple recipe is even better … they shut down the food network humor site, it was hilarious. If you keep clicking on the blue comments tab they will keep opening.

2 Likes

Hold crap those comments are hysterical!!

1 Like

I know - that was great. Too bad.

1 Like

My own recipe, actually won a Whole Foods recipe contest and bagged me a food processor and apron that I still have 20 years later:

Apples and Sweet Peppers over Cous-Cous

Ingredients:
Seasoning mixture, to be combined in a bowl, reserving 1 tsp for the cous-cous (can add or adjust herbs and spices as you like, with sage, bay leaf, za’tar blends, sumac, etc.):
–2 1/2 tsp dried thyme
–3/4 tsp dried oregano
–1/4 tsp freshly ground white pepper
–1 tsp ground turmeric
–1/2 tsp ground cumin
6-7 cups chicken broth, altogether (some goes to the cous-cous)
1 tablespoon butter
6 tablespoons olive oil, altogether
1/4 cup , plus 2 tbs good dry white wine (2 tbs. reserved for the cous-cous)
2 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions
1 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
3 1/2 cups coarsely chopped red and yellow bell peppers
1 tablespoon lemon juice (or other citrus juice)
1 cup black or golden raisins; or currants
2 cups cous-cous
3 Tart apples (like Granny Smith), cored and diced
2 tablespoons sugar (brown or white), if needed
3/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf (Italian) parsley

In a wide sautoir or saute pan–14" if possible–heat 4 tbs olive oil over medium heat; add onions, celery, salt and several grindings of black pepper; and cook 20 minutes or until onions and celery are soft (do not let them brown). Add the garlic, the chopped bell peppers, 1 tbs olive oil, more salt and pepper to taste, and cook 10 minutes or until the peppers have begun to soften. Raise heat to high and, as soon as the pan is hot, add the wine, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. After wine has evaporated (about 30 seconds), return heat to medium. Add enough of the broth almost to cover (should be about 1 and a half inches deep), stir in the raisins, the lemon juice, and the herb/spice mixture, and after it comes to simmer, reduce heat to keep the mixture at a very gentle simmer for 20 minutes, stirring in a little more broth whenever the mixture seems to be lacking in fluid for simmering.

Meanwhile, prepare the cous-cous: in a saucepan, measure 2 1/2 cups chicken broth, 1 tsp of herb/spice mixture, 1 tbs olive oil, the butter, 2 tbs. white wine and bring the mixture quickly to a boil. Boil 30 seconds to allow the alcohol to evaporate, remove immediately from heat, stir in the cous-cous thoroughly, cover tightly, and set undisturbed to one side off heat until ready to serve (it will keep for 30+ minutes).

Returning to the vegetables, add the diced apples to the mixture and sweeten to taste with the sugar (if the apples and raisins are already very sweet, little or even no sugar will be needed.) Simmer for ten minutes or more, adding more broth if needed to keep the mixture very moist. To finish, add in the chopped parsley, stirring regularly for five minutes more. To serve: fluff the cous-cous thoroughly with a fork, dish it onto plates, and spoon the pepper/apple mixture over or alongside the cous-cous. Serves six

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Wow, the food processor still working!

Actually, I have nearly all the ingredients at hand (except celery), may try it next week, like the use of apples in your recipe.

1 Like

Thanks to you! And I hope it works out for you.

The food processor is one of those older Made-in-France KitchenAids–motor makes it weigh a ton, but it’s rock-solid.

The preparation is one of those that’s especially dependent on tasting for balance as you go along–the idea being to put sweet and savory in balance, and that always depends on adjusting for the sweetness of your particular ingredients. It requires more tasting-as-you-go than anything else I have done. It’s also one of the things I’ve made that has had people saying genuinely that it’s the best thing they’ve ever eaten.

2 Likes

p.s.: about the spice suggestions: I think I’d probably double the cumin. Because it’s my own concoction, this write up was just tossed off when someone asked me for a recipe for this, but in fact I don’t really measure the spices/herbs, and I think my write-up was a bit conservative.

Also, I think I’d add cayenne powder or a lengthwise sliced serrano chile (the latter to be removed as you taste and just heat/savory/sweet balance).

And I see that omit mentioning salt, but I’m sure you can manage that to your taste. Both the main dish and the cous-cous definitely require salt.

2 Likes

Sorry to complicate with another comment, but in addition to thinking that I’d double the cumin indicated, I probably would use less broth–the preparation should be the consistency of a chicken cacciatore–wet but not soupy. Whatever it takes; I could see 4 cups possibly working, and that with the assumption of evaporative cooking.

How the heck I missed this thread from 4 years ago, I don’t know - perhaps I was more intent on posting on the WFD thread. But let’s revive it, since there are so many new HOers!

Here’s one of my favorite recipes - and I’m looking forward to cool weather so I can make it again! Usually the first Autumn-appropriate meal I make. Mom doesn’t remember where she found this recipe, which is why it’s called…

Mom’s Lemon Pot Roast

3 lbs chuck roast
1 cup dry red wine
1/4 cup lemon juice, or more to taste
1/2 tsp garlic powder (I use up to 1 tsp.) or use 2 cloves of fresh garlic, minced
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp celery salt (I omit - or I’ll add a 1/4 tsp. celery seed)
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp thyme, or 2 tsp. fresh minced thyme
1/2 tsp ground ginger, or 1-1/2 tsp. fresh (but I often add more ground ginger)

Brown meat well on all sides in a little bit of olive oil in a large Dutch oven. Add 1 cup of wine OR 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup dry red wine and simmer, covered, for 1 hour.

Meanwhile, blend remaining ingredients in tightly covered clean jar by shaking all ingredients together. Add to beef. Simmer another 1-1/2 hours, occasionally basting roast or turning it over in the braising liquid.

Remove meat to platter. Mix together 2 heaping tablespoons flour with a little water in a jar. Whisk into liquid in pot and simmer until thickened to make a gravy. Carve roast into slices (it may just fall apart into chunks!), put on a platter and add 1 thinly sliced lemon to all as garnish.

11 Likes

We have enjoyed your recipe a few tumes and its become a family fav. The gravy is so good. Thxs again.

3 Likes

From @mariacarmen
Frenchy potato salad
cut potatoes (I don’t peel) - you can use golds or even the little red ones, i’ve also used fingerlings.
boil in salted water
while they’re cooking, put in a large bowl:
extra virgin olive oil
minced thyme and/or rosemary (i usually do only thyme)
minced shallots
s&p
chopped capers (this was a newish addition, i don’t always add them but the add a lot.)
maybe a half tsp. of Dijon mustard (this was a new addition too)
i’ve sometime added minced kalamatas or other olives too.

all to taste. you want to put the potatoes into the olive oil mixture while they’re still hot so they’ll absorb the oil and flavors. you want a good amount of evoo and shallots Toss toss toss until well mixed - the potatoes will get a little fuzzy but that’s ok.
Eat warm, at room, or cold.

9 Likes

Add Life cereal to a bowl
Cover with whole milk as desired
Enjoy!

Prep time: 30 seconds
Cook time: 30 seconds

4 Likes

And Mikey likes it!

3 Likes