Hungry Onion Drooling Q&A with Mark Bittman (Jan 19, 2017 2pm ET)

You’re welcome. Thanks for participating.
Much of that’s been documented: It’s clear that in the long run we’re all going to be eating more plants, and my diet has shifted accordingly. But cooking-wise, things haven’t changed. See the previous couple of questions, but in short, I remain totally curious about how to handle ingredients in different, interesting, and simple ways, and I never want to complicate things unnecessarily. I probably shop less, if anything, than I used to, and rely less on odd ingredients; my cooking, if anything, is really more primitive than it once was.

5 Likes

Always. Stay tuned. But How to Bake Everything, which just came out, is pretty awesome.

4 Likes

Fortunately it doesn’t matter. I get to eat everything.

2 Likes

Have your How To Cook Everything apps revealed any patterns of recipe usage that you weren’t aware of previously?

1 Like

I thought “Fast” was incredibly creative and that it would change both everything and “Everything.” I was wrong, as I often am. I’m devoted to the 10th anniversary (red) How to Cook Everything, and really believe that if people were to buy only one cookbook, modesty aside, that should be it. But they are all good for their own reasons: Basics is the one people asked me to do, and I think my team delivered; and Baking - again, immodestly - can teach people that the old chestnut about baking being a science and cooking being an art is nonsense: It’s all craft.

6 Likes

It’s how my grandmother did it. Probably unnecessary but it works. Thinking about it, it may be that you drive moisture out of onions faster cooking them in a dry pan and adding the fat later. But I’ve never tested it.

2 Likes

Well, it’s easy to say “grow and eat locally” when you live in the Bay Area, because it’s a near-perfect setup. But every region of the country should be looking at working towards a more regional food system. And they are.
As for the vice-versa thing … I dunno. It’s California, i.e., trend-setting.

3 Likes

Funny one of my kid’s nicknames was Emglow for a while.
Anyway. Check markbittman.com - we’re posting new recipes all the time.

2 Likes

They must avoid me.

2 Likes

That is an excellent question. I’m going to look into that.

2 Likes

Over the years I’ve “gifted” six copies of Everything Vegetarian: it’s definitely my primary resource when it comes to eating plant-centric. Are there any vegetable/vegetarian/vegan cookbooks you turn to for inspiration?

I did, but not any more. I just eat, talk, cook, read randomly. It’s enough.

4 Likes

Well, bad writing is always a good sign that things are either not being thought through or not communicated well; an outlying measurement is a dead giveaway; obviously bad timing. But sadly these are not things many novices are going to pick up on.

1 Like

My children treats vegetables as their enemies. Did you have any particular strategy to get them to eat veggies when they grew up?

1 Like

It’s too soon to tell. What I can say is that in two months I have met more dedicated people doing more interesting things than I thought I would. That may be my style: I’m focusing much more on NYC and the region in general now than I did when I was at the Times, when I felt my job was to look at the country and even the world.

5 Likes

It’s either self-serving or idiotic, depending on who’s saying it. For starters 70% of the planet operates this way, and does pretty well.

4 Likes

Thank you very much Mark Bittman for joining us today and sharing your perspectives and thoughts with us! Best of luck with your cookbooks and your work in food advocacy and at Columbia!

Check out Mark’s cookbooks here and his web site here.

And thanks everyone for the questions. Have a wonderful time cooking and eating!

6 Likes