Hungry Onion Drooling Q&A with Christopher Kimball (Dec 7, 2016 3-3:45pm ET)

What is your favorite Grateful Dead song?

Since you are dealing with food all day, are you as inclined to get into the kitchen when you go home in the evening?

Oh, yeah - rap album coming soon! I did just interview Ziggy Marley and had a great time. Now THAT is someone I would do an album with! (I also love Jamaica - try to get there once per year.)

4 Likes

Those spice stalls in the markets in the old town are totally epic.

Thank you for that question! Love Eyes of The World of course and Franklin Tower. I do love Jerry singing Peggy-O however both in New Haven and out in Las Vegas I think. Sweet, sweet but sad song.

3 Likes

A few years ago, my interest in food really picked up again since I was cooking differently. So, yes! Spatchcocked a chicken last night, made an herb/spice paste in a mortar and pestle and roasted it. A light salad on the side and plenty of wine. Big flavors - simple.

2 Likes

Who has the best Pizza?

Nope. Think that if I can go to Thailand and learn something new, the audience will come along. I have always been the guy who learned along with the audience so think this is a good fit. I am not the expert - I am always standing next to the expert. In this case, the expert might be in Chiang Mai or a small town in Morocco.

2 Likes

Chris, who’s your favorite cook in history (besides Julia Child)?

The guy in Brooklyn - DI FARA - is terrific. I also love a pizza place in Manchester VT - DEPOT 62 - which oddly enough is also a furniture store and sells Turkish specialties as well. I also love grilling pizza in the summer with shredded raclette cheese on it.

1 Like

Christopher, you are a busy person I am sure. This is not necessarily a food question, but how do you find the time, given the need to run a media company, to relax and detach yourself from work?

1 Like

The best cookbook ever written was THE EPICUREAN (around 1900) by Ranhoffer. He worked at DelMonicos. Incredible book.

3 Likes

What are you hoping to get for Christmas?

Hunting! Spending 10 hours in the woods alone really helps! I also like being up at the hunting cabin my myself next to a fire with a good book and glass of bourbon - both the book and the bourbon help! I also love to read and that gets one out of the day to day pretty quickly.

2 Likes

What would be one dish that is the most perplexing for you to cook?

A nice dinner with the kids, a fire, and family time. Don’t need presents that come in a box.

3 Likes

Puff pastry is the most difficult recipe ever - have made it from scratch but very hard. The Victorian jellies we did for fannie’s last supper (it is now on Netflix btw) were also very hard. Start by boiling calves’ feet to make the gelatin base!

4 Likes

Thank you so much for chatting with us! And for Milk Street, your tour, magazines, and your wonderful cookbooks!

My pleasure!

Too many to list here in a short amount of time. Having a fruit tart slide onto the bottom of the oven while a magazine crew was waiting to photograph lunch! Made a new one in about 5 minutes and popped it in the oven - they never knew!

1 Like