Hungry Onion Drooling Q&A with Christopher Kimball (Dec 7, 2016 3-3:45pm ET)

When did you first start cooking? What got you excited and began the learning process?

4 Likes

A variation of a previous question about new media’s impact on traditional cooking media ventures- media ventures like newspapers, etc. are struggling to adapt to the online world and monetization models/ paywall. People are used to giving up privacy in exchange for free content. For someone like me who has aspirations in the cooking media world, but has zero name recognition, do you think its harder/ easier to make it now? Any advice for me?

6 Likes

Are there any hard liquor that I can use that supresses gluten development as well or nearly as well as vodka does when baking pies, during the times when I don’t have vodka on hand?

1 Like

I want to give a very warm welcome to Christopher Kimball from Milk Street, who, through his and his team’s meticulous research on recipes over the years, brought us some practical and wonderful dishes for us to share with family and friends. His new venture, Christopher Kimball’s Milk Street, is bringing to readers/ viewers a new print magazine, TV and radio shows as well as a cooking school in Boston that introduce layers of global flavors via spices, textures, fermented sauces, chiles, and fresh herbs to the home kitchen.

Welcome Chris! And thanks for taking the time to do the Q&A with your readers/ viewers tonight!

(Chris will join us whenever he’s ready.)

1 Like

I have been experimenting with ingredients that encourages the browning Maillard reaction when I slather them on meat. Besides food rich in amino acids such as meat itself, and sweet stuff like honey, are there any ingredients you’d encourage that I explore?

1 Like

I’ve read about your recommendations of All Clad. With my current budget, I can’t afford an All Clad skillet or the seconds. Do you have any recommendations for skillets on a budget of ~$40? Thanks, Frugal cook.

1 Like

Current food/ cooking trends that annoy you?

1 Like

What do you like to eat in Boston? and around Milk Street?

Three things. Bold, interesting flavor combinations. Use large handfuls of herbs. New ways to use grains.

4 Likes

Bridget is FABULOUS and the two of us loved our partnership over 5 years. But I also love Sara Moulton. Will Bridget do a guest turn on Milk Street? Hope so!

8 Likes

Made my first cake when I was 9 or 10 and have been cooking ever since. (The 7-minute frosting turned out like snot.)

7 Likes

The world is FULL of bold, simple ways of preparing dinner. I was just in Thailand and most of the cooking took just minutes and was filled with flavor. I want to rethink how to cook and bring that to home cooks everywhere. (Modest goal I know!)

7 Likes

Julia Child. I watched her film her show many times in Cambridge and loved her dedication to public media. It has always felt like home to me.

5 Likes

I guess that’s where the start show with bad cooking idea comes from!

1 Like

Sure, We did a “fast” coq au vin recipe years ago and got a lot of pushback. Do it right or not at all. However, I am fine with changing things up. After all, every recipe in the world is an iteration on a prior approach.

6 Likes

Most of them! I really can’t stand the whole “comfort” food thing. Isn’t ALL food comfort food?

3 Likes

I can see that the French may be a bit more hesitant to have their recipes changed!

Vodka does not suppress gluten development. Alcohol does not react with glutenin and gliadin to form gluten but water does. That is why vodka works in pie dough - it is half alcohol and therefore there is less water to react with the proteins in the flour.

2 Likes

love that you’re going to bring in things from other cultures. I liked the old magazine’s focus on American foods, but sometimes thought it was a little limiting. Is there a favorite non American cuisine of yours that might see some special focus? and if it’s Thai cooking, what’s your next favorite?

2 Likes

How much of the “Celebrity Chef” area of kitchen appliances/gadgets is just slapping a name on something, as opposed to actually putting out a good product that they were hands-on with?