Huge drop in Florida orange harvest

According to a CBS News report, this morning, this year’s Florida orange harvest is down by about 75% due to an insect called Greening. It’s causing smaller, misshapen fruit and killing trees in huge numbers. I guess this has been building for years. I’d never heard of it 'till now. Pretty devastating.

Sell Sell Sell !!! (some humor for a not funny subject)

2 Likes

It’s a disease carried by an insect. According to an NPR headline they are close to finding a remedy http://www.npr.org/2016/05/12/477758594/researchers-appear-close-to-a-remedy-for-citrus-greening-disease

Yes. The name ‘Greening’ sounds like something more sinister but, as I said, it’s an insect. According to CBS the remedy involves replacing the trees. That sounds like a very long range and expensive solution. Did you a different fix?

Excerpted from the link I posted

"Greening is spread by a tiny insect called a psyllid. "

"ED ETXEBERRIA: We have to find a way in which the antibiotics penetrate into the plant so they can act and cure the disease. So in this way, it’s where I come in with a laser machine.

GREEN: Exteberria developed a machine that uses lasers to pierce the leaves, making way for an antibiotic injection similar to a person getting a shot. He demonstrates a smaller version in his lab. A tractor will tow the machine through a grove while its six arms fire the lasers, deliver the antibiotic and seal the wounds with a waxy substance."

The article says they have also developed a tree through conventional breeding that is resisting to the disease but at this point it is only the one tree.

Thanks. The CBS piece showed a vehicle spraying something on trees but didn’t give it much credibility.

Lost 2 grapefruit trees. At least I saved the wood for the smoker

1 Like

They’ve been asking homeowners to not plant citrus until it’s under control.

It’s tragic to see a major industry(but based in family groves) decimated…the entire state is holding their breath that they find a cure and/or prevention.

And this is why California doesn’t let you bring fruits and vegetables into the state.

1 Like

Yes it is, but apparently the Florida critter came from China so not likely in a car or truck that might have been stopped at an inspection station.

2 Likes

Florida doesn’t either, officially but with so many viditors arriving by land, sea, and air, there is no way to catch it all.

1 Like